What's new

SVS subs The Bad News (1 Viewer)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Sombody tell me something bad about this sub. I bought one and so far no complaints, about as expected.
I studied all the sites for something negative but so far I havnt found anything. Their service, shipping, quality all appear to be great just seem a little unusual not to hear the bad news. . .

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
Okay... they have a fairly low spousal acceptance factor:
- VERY large
- only comes in black
- they create "fanatical" owners
- my wife is sick of me asking, "...did you feel that?"

Also, they are open on the top so you might spill something in them.

That's all I can think of. I have found the SVS team to be highly customer-oriented.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone that comes over keeps saying that is the most fricking cool thing I have ever seen....Kind of gets old. Oh and my dog is a zoombie never comes around anymore, he just lays on his back and gets his belly rubbed by the SVS

Merry Christmas!

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Cause you to think every UPS truck is the one about to bring your SVS sub.
Can cause you to watch your DVD collection over to hear what you missed on pre SVS viewings.
Can cause a permanent grin ala Phantom Of The Opera/Alice In Wonderland Cheshire Cat look.
Can get you cited by the police for disturbing the peace.
Can cause your neigbors to think a earthquake is in progress. However, this scenario happens most frequently to owners of SVS residing in California. ;)
BTW I own a 16-46pci

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2039 cs+, and no complaints here. But if I would nitpick, the space between the baseplate and the speakers has a tendency to collect dust :D

Michael Webb

Stunt Coordinator
I'll give you some bad news, they are expensive and I can't afford one, at least I don't think(never actually seen a price quote....newbie). Anyways, whats the best place to purchase SVS? I don't have a big place, and w/o a doubt don't need anything but the smallest, how much will that run me? Can you get them used? Are they just like a normal sub, plug it in a go, or are they "more"?

MarcVH

Second Unit
The baseplate sometimes collects dust, yes, and the placement of the binding posts makes it impossible to use banana plugs (CS only.) Also, the design makes it virtually impossible to see the driver without partly disassembling the sub -- when I have visitors over, if I want to show them what my drivers look like, I go to SVS's web page. It would be cool to watch the driver pound in and out -- instead I have to watch the lights on the amp.
Michael, SVS is a direct-on-the-web channel, so other than used the only place to buy them is SVS (www.svsubwoofers.com.) I don't know what your budget is like, but for the performance they're some of the most economically priced subs out there.

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
You can find info at www.svsubwoofers.com . They are really quite affordable. I think the cheapest start around 300-500 dollars and go up from there to over several thousand dollars. You really can't go wrong with an SVS sub. I can't think iof anything I don't like about mine. My neighbors probably could though, hehe.

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on what you consider expensive. The 20-39PCi is about $600 + shipping and I think there's another active model right below it for $560. Personally, I'm saving up the 20-39PCi. If what everyone here says is true it'll be worth the extra wait instead of rushing out and getting a $400 subwoofer right now.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Another negative:

No matter how powerful your SVS is, there will be a new SVS in 6-12 months that makes yours look like a little sissy girl and tempts you to open your wallet yet again.

I'm gonna try to hold out for the B16-Super-Ultra.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The B-16. I wonder how long that will take. Especially if it goes from B-4 to B-5 one notch at a time? The 4 would be considered a computer sub by then I guess. It's the journey that counts.

altan

Stunt Coordinator
Bad news?

My wife was shocked at the size and says it looks like a giant "ho ho" (hostess).

... Altan

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone compared the SVS to a REL Strata III, I know the SVs is MUCH louder, but I am asking in a musical sence. How musical is the SVS?

Donald

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Boy I never knew about all this negativity, I dont get the twinkie. . . My wife did. . . .
Sounds terminal!

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Donald, the SVS is extremely musical. It blends right in with my JBL NSP-1 mains system and doesn't call attention to itself. It just produces tight accurate bass.

If, however, there is deep bass recorded on what you are listening to, you will feel it/hear it in all its glory.

I just got my 20-39PC+ on Wednesday and I'm still reeling on the improvement it's made, not just over the old Mirage it replaced, but to the totality of the sound of my system.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
I guess this is all "bad news" we can live with, thanks for the kind words.

Donald, we don't think subwoofers should be "musical" per se. The reason being that such a term almost imparts a sense that a subwoofer should have a "sound of its own". Rather, at SVS we want to be sure you get accurate bass, no matter if you are listening to low or high sound pressure levels (SPLs). Much is made of "musical" subwoofers, "fast" bass etc. etc. Most of this sort of discussion (at least when OEMs start to espouse it) is nothing more than a blurring of the REAL issues regarding subwoofer performance. Namely, how low it goes, how clean (that means low distortion), and how "linear" (flat) the performance is as the volume gets turned up.

In short, you want your sub to reproduce as accurately as possible the recording in question. We don't call this musical, we call it correct.

After all, there are plenty of subwoofers that will do well with moderate levels of music, and it's key ANY subwoofer do well with that sort of demand. It's the subs that do deep, clean, powerful and flat all at one time that quickly assert themselves as doing justice to music or movies for that matter.

PS, At SVS we often tell the joke of the "musical" sub that could play tunes all by itself... or the sub with bass so "fast" it left the room before you could hear it! ;^) A famous subwoofer reviewer (who has cut through most of the hype/BS of this industry) gave us those lines. We repeat them to ourselves every time we undergo the thousands of hours of objective testing that backs up every one of our subwoofers. We'll leave the euphemisms to others.

Ron

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
With every movie you put on, you are hoping the bass is well recorded and to die for.......who cares if there's no plot?

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, Thanks for the reply. How would you conpare the HGS-10 to say the 16-46CS+? I am really looking into the 16-46CS+. I can sell my HGS-10 for about enough to get this sub. I am just having a hard time parting with this sub for a sub I havn't heard. The support itself, is stating to sell me on the SVS. Whats your return policy on your SVS subs?

Donald

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks