What's new

SVS subs & speakers on cinder blocks??? (1 Viewer)

Jack Smith

Agent
After the recent basement flood, I have decided to place my front and center speakers on top of cinder blocks. I've also placed my two SVS 46c subwoofers on cinder blocks just in case it floods again due to rain or a late snowfall. How will this affect the sound? Will my subs go as deep as before, or am I going to lose something? I've tried to be neutral on this, but can't. Even before turning the speakers on, I'm hearing a difference already...less bass. Should I put the speakers back on the cement floor or leave them high & dry? Advice needed! Please help!

Speakers: Klipsch RF7's up front; Klipsch RC7 center.
Pre-Amp: Denon 5800
Amp (front): Cinepro 3KIIse bridged (700 watts to each front and center speaker).
Rear Surrounds: Klipsch RS7's
Rear Surround Centers: two Klipsch RF3's.
Surround Amp: Cinepro 2K5II two-hundred & fifty watts per speaker.

...we are the borg.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
as far as i am concerned, working speakers in less than ideal places are better than waterlogged and ruined speakers, so just keep them where they are safe

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
The ultimate solution might be to attach them to the ceiling, ports pointing at the floor. I'm not kidding...

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Assuming the house has flood insurance the speakers are probably already covered but it's still best to protect them. After paying a deductible and factoring depreciation you'd take a major loss on something like that. Do you keep your keys in the car because it's insured?

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Jack,

I have my 16-46s on top of round garden stones. I did this because my wooden floors bounce too much and the subs teneded to 'dance' around the living room.

They are not as thick as cinder blocks. And the sound is not effected except in my case for the better becuase the floors added distortion. Even after doing this one of the subs kept falling over during loud bass sections. I had to move it out more into the room away from the corner. about 1/3 the way down the wall. No problems now.

If your basment flooring is concrete slab I doubt if you will hear any difference with the blocks.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Jack,

I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but I had a similar problem with a wet basement. It was a royal pain so not being a construction kind of guy, I called this company and the water is history. This is a link to your area. I am sure there are other companies available who provide this service. I also painted the walls with Drylock.

http://www.bdry.com/L_Maryland.htm

If you own the home and cash flow is available, it was a worthwhile investment as I was then able to finish the basement.

Charles

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd say put the subs on the floor and enjoy them as if they do get damaged by flood, then just order the replacement parts for them (one thing I do like about SVS is they offer this on their site) and most likely within a year or two they'll offer another woofer upgrade anyway (wicked never rests).:D

Of course you could always go the diy route and IB the woofers high enough off the floor...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks