What's new

SVS Subs- CS or PC ? ? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Ho

Grip
Hello,

I am in the works of purchasing a SVS Subwoofer. The room I have to place it in is only 12 x 20 ( without considering the big opening going into the kitchen). I would really like to get the 20-39CS, but wonder if the 20-39 would be overkill and the 20-31 would be more sufficient.

Also, I noticed that everyone usually purcahases the CS versions and buys the samson amp to go with it. Do the PS's not provide as good as sound ? To me , I would rather have the PS since I don't have to worry about another device in my rack ..

Any help would be appreciated,

Jeff

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jeff,
This might better be in the new subwoofer section but I want to make sure saw our FAQ's page. It covers some of what you ask.
Link Removed
BTW, some folks might get confused by your note. The PC=Powered Cylinder (our self powered line). The CS is the "Cylinder Series" sub that uses a Samson amp or one of your own. And I think you meant the 25-31PC in your post. It's the smallest SVS, but for HT and music is more than enough sub for many people. The idea of having a sub that's "all in one" with no other amp is appealing, but since many HT fans aspire to twin subs (even for mid-sized rooms like yours it might not be a bad idea) the dual CS and Samson amp is a more economical and slightly better performing way to get there (the Samson S700 has 350 watts in two channels, the PC amp has "only" about 200, which is still much more power than people typically use).

RichardH

Supporting Actor
If you want simplicity, definitely get the PC. As I understand it, it's only behind the CS by a few dB. Unless you plan on running it wide open, this will be inconsequential. Plus, if you have the desire to get more bass in the future, you can just get another one for an instant 6dB upgrade!

The 20-39 is the most popular one that SVS sells as it strikes a balance between extension and output. It's only 1-2 dB quiter than the 25-31 in the 35Hz+ range, and it can go to 20Hz, which is becoming more and more common in movie soundtracks.

It sounds like a 20-39PC is the perfect choice for you! As far as output goes, if you get a 20-39PC and decide that you need more, moving to a Samson-powered CS model is not going to do it. We're talking about moving to dual-SVS or maybe the CS-Plus/Ultra. So, give it a shot and see what you think!

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
What Richard said!

The 20-39 (both in CS and PC configurations) are indeed our most popular precisely because they balance both extension and output so well.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks