What's new

SVS subs & art 351 or symetrix 551e eq's??? (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I am looking into buying a pair of the new svs 20-39cs+ subs with the samson s1000 amp & was wondering if anyone has the art 351 or symetrix 551e eq? Ive been looking at possable getting one of these also but I first wonted to see if anybody is useing one of them,& if so is it worth the xetra cash.
If any reply please note what eq you are useing and how mutch differance you think it really makes.
Thanks for any help...:D

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I've been using the ART eq & it's really helped tame a few peaks in my room...I've had a huge improvement with the SVS-CSU / ART vs my old HSU VTF2 alone.

However...I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but I'm considering getting a parametric eq to hit a few peaks at the 1/6 octive levels that the ART can't reach. (ART is a 1/3 octive eq)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Joe: IMO, a parametric equalizer can make a mediocre setup into a good one and a good one into a great one. I added a parametric Rane into my main setup a couple of months ago and it has much more low bass than before. Yet, the old room buzzing I used to have with a couple of the resonant peaks is gone. (A parametric eq lets you choose the frequency, the width of frequency control (bandwidth), and the amplitude (how much control via the volume.)) Regular equalizers (which control only frequncy and amplitude) can be helpful, but a parametric lets you address specific frequency problems. And for bass problems, this is THE answer. Much easier than trying to find the perfect subwoofer location. Which, IMO, doesn't exist!

Do a search here on the hardware forum for Rane, Symetrix, and Behringer. Also, parametric equalizers. You'll find a ton of info and lots of ways to integrate one of these babies into your HT.

Good Luck!

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Heya Joe. You really can't answer that question for sure until you map your room response. The ART is a very solid unit, but it can be limiting IF you have a problimatic room.
I realize you would be ordering the EQ with your subs, but I think it would be a good idea to get the subs, an SPL meter and AVIA or a test CD and see what it looks like. Also remember that the ART is 1/3 octave, so the sliders you will have are 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63 and 80 (and so on). So if you see bad peaks all over the place when you do your tests, the ART may not be able to get the most out of your woofs.
You may be lucky and not have much trouble at all. Also note that the two EQ's mentioned (and the PE17 now sold in lieu of the 551) have a subsonic filter. Since the 20-39's I have are tuned to 20Hz, it would be a good idea to cut the freq's below 20Hz (or so) for some of the more overzealous DVD's like The Phantom Menace which has loud bass

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks