SVS Subs - Any advantage to the ext amp and tall ones?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Krangel, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

I will be purchasing an SVS withing the next two weeks (PCi or CS Plus), and I have two questions:

1) All the reviews I have read speak very favorably towards all of SVS's subs, yet I wonder if there is any advantage to getting one of the ones with the external amp. Is it simply a matter of preference, or is the built in amp superirior/inferior to the offered external one (Samson 1000 watt)?

2) I noticed that they offer a small/medium/large size for each product line. Is there any advantage to getting the taller/shorter sub?

Thanks

2. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

You need to provide some information. What dimensions are your room? What is your listening style (HT VS. Stereo)? To what extent is price an issue? Also, if you provide all this info to SVS in an e-mail you can work with them directly to get answers. I went with the CS ultra, Samson S1000 Amp. The sub is used for movies only, in a 20 x 18 x7 room. Single sub was a priority for me (Did not want to mess with placing 2 subs) and I like to feel my movies.
    You are off to a good start. Ask many questions, evaluate the answers, buy, and enjoy.

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

You have a smaller room..I'd say the smallest pci would be perfect...I have the 20-39pci, and wouldn't trade that baby[​IMG] Email ron/tom, and ask them...I would guess they'd say about the same thing...the amp is plenty with the pci for that room...320 watts of pure power...should be good[​IMG] Plus, with your room space, and cylinder will look great, and take up very little room...tell Ron toml sent ya[​IMG] [email protected]

4. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Guys.

Orin, my room is 16x16 and, as you can see on my website, had ALOT going on in it (including HT), and I would not mind spending the extra money to go between the SVS models if I will benefit from it.

Tommy, I think I just might drop Ron a line. Right now I have the 20-39PCi slated as the one I am going to get. Will it be a big improvement over my current sub (Klipch KSW-12, which I'm pretty happy with as it is)?

Thanks again

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Huge improvement!

6. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jon,
    I replaced dual KSW12's with one SVS CS+ hooked up to a spare amp I had. Believe me, the difference is laughable[​IMG] Although it can be almost scary with bass heavy movies the most noticeable difference is how well it blends in with music. When playing music the KSW12's made thumping sounds, with the SVS it feels like its just an extension of the mains (sometimes I get up and walk over to it - to make sure its on - and put my hands on the side of it, OH YEAH ITS WORKING!!!) I think the 20-39PCi is a good choice for your room. Get it, you will laugh too[​IMG]
    Good Luck, Mitch

7. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

I would say from everything I've read, that the SVS blows away the Klipsch KSW-12 sub...Do a search, I'll bet ya dollars to donuts you buy a SVS[​IMG] I would, then again, I did[​IMG]...the Klipsch fluufs out down low, and sounds boomy...the SVS is tight, and really give you a feeling that you don't know where the sub is in the room...now that is a good sub...plus you can FEEL it in every track...I can't count how many times I've had my name hollared up the stairs by the wife...and I haven't hit it past 4 on my dial!!!...word of caution...IF you have any good pictures, take'em down cuz they will be fallin[​IMG] Tom/Ron are great...ya won't find many better at service/help...Like I said, throw a "toml" in your email...they will email back QUICKLY[​IMG] hope that helps...tom

8. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

The externals with the Samson amp make sense if you anticipate adding a 2nd sub later on and it offers more flexbility. The PCi model doesn't have phase adjustments, for example; placement will be a little more critical without it.

The 20-39 has a nice thump to it; if you enjoy that type of sub then I'm sure you'll like it. I have a 16-46 PCi and like Mitch said, it blends so well that I can't always tell whether or not it is on with music.