SVS subs and my setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I am now looking at buying a SVS sub. I have 2 setups in mind for my 11 by 12 foot room:
    --JBL s38 series 1(main) and JBL pb12 sub(12 inch, 250W)
    --JBL s38 series 1(main) and SVS sub
    Which setup would you go with? What is a SVS sub similar to the pb12? I don't really need anything more powerful than the pb12. I can get the JBL sub for 230(US) on dirtcheapaudiovideo.com and the regular price is 500. A SVS around 300 is what I am looking for? Do they exist? Also, I read the SVS is really good for movies. I use my setup 98% for music and 2% movies. Would an SVS be ideal for music, or is there a better sub like the Adire or HSU that would work better? Thank you all very much for all your responses.

2. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

The SVS subs are a significant step up the ladder from the JBL you mention. The cheapest SVS that comes powered is the 25-31PC which goes for $549. As far as a recommendation everyone that replies to this thread will choose the SVS in your comparison...but you will pay almost twice as much as teh JBL. So, really, your comparison is not a good one because the SVS is, hand down, a better sub than the JBL and will cost significantly more.

3. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

If it's any help--I have a similar setup (s38' mains, 4 s36, scenter and PB12). The PB12 is not that great. For something that big, powerful and expensive it seems weak. I am trying right now to get an SVS as well because of all I heard here. Think you would be much happier as well. The JBL setup is very good--it exceeds almost anything at their price point and some above (IMO) based on extensive listening. The sub is always the hardest to audition but I've had mine for a couple of months and know that I'm missing something.

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'd go with a used SVS. Another option you may want to consider is going the DIY route.

5. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Bryan,
    What's the best way to do that? I may be interested,I just need some more information on it. Thank you very much.

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

More information can be found in the DIY section here. Do a search on DIY subs in that section and you will find more information than you know what to do with.

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Shawn, if you're willing to make a drive over to Mobile, you're more than welcome to come check out my SVS 20-39CS+/Samson 1000/ART-351/Polk RT25i(main and surround)/CS245i/Onkyo 595 rig and see what you think of the sound. Spreading the word on SVS is the least I can do to repay the excellent service they've given me (and the incredible subwoofer). Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] if you're interested.