SVS subs and Martin Logans?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Cole, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

I currently have 2 16-46CS subs and one 18"THX velodyne sub connected to the .1 out.

My main speakers are ML ReQuests. These speakers have passable bass at best. For stereo SACD listening and even CDs I use the 2 channel outs on my Sony xa777es SACD/Cd player because in this mode there is better detail etc. doing this forces me to use my MLs in full range mode. I am not happy with the bass.

My questions are:

1. Would the two SVSs be too much to hook up to through the line out l/r channels.

2. If I do this with the mains set to large how much sub information would be passed this way for films and would I miss the lost bass[if any]?

Thank you,

Krell 7.1 pre/pro

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

wow. Martin logan put the bass attentuation switch on the rear because folks complained of too much bass with that model. they must be in a bass unfriendly spot.

Maybe post your receiver/pre-pro and we can tell you how the bass management would work.

3. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I agree, you must have your reQuests positioned poorly. I'm getting a good amount of bass from mine.

I too have a pair fo reQuests and a pair of 16-46CS's. Here is an old thread describing how I set mineup.

-------------

A few people have e-mailed me ans asked how I have this set up, so here goes.

Equipment:
    ----------
    Marantz SR8000, fixed x-over frequency at 100 hz
    Front's: Martin-Logan reQuests
    Rear's: B&W 202's (older two-way bookshelf's)
    Centre: Martin-Logan Cinema
    Subs: SVS 16-46CS x 2 with Samson 700
    DVD: Pioneer DV37CD: Luxman DC-113
    TV: Pioneer Elite 710HD

It's important to note that audio sound is as important if not more important to me than HT sound. Thus the ability to use the Marantz's source direct feature is critical. Once you hear it, you won't listen to music any other way, there is a very large difference in the quality of the sound.

Here is how I have it set up:

Marantx SR8000
    - Sub='no'
    - Front='large'
    - Rear='large'

X-30 is a continuously variable crossover. You set the x-over frequency, phase, and gain (signal level). It has left/right inputs, which it blends into a mono signal for a sub. It routes all content below the x-over frequency to the sub, all content above the x-over frequency to a pair of high-pass out outputs, intended to be fed back into the receiver.

- Front's are driven right off the receiver speaker outputs as per usual
    - Rears are driven off the receiver speaker outputs as per usual
    - The X-30 is connected to the receiver's front/left pre-amp out. Since sub ='no' the LFE content is routed out the front's, to the X-30. The X-30 routes the content below the x-over frequency to the Samson amp driving the subs. Note that this means the receiver is routing the same signal out the front speaker outputs and out the front pre-amp out output.

Why did I do it this way? I wanted to use the subs to fill in some of the lower frequency for music, AND I wanted to use Source Direct mode. In source direct mode the receiver disables bass management completely, to get the purest signal, and the sub out is disabled. If I didn't use source direct I might still use the X-30. In my opinion the fixed 100hz x-over frequency sucks, you really don't want to be sending all that content to the Samson and the subs unless you have front's that need help in that area. I know the guys at SVS will say to set sub='yes' and front='small', so that you offload as much bass as possible from the receiver and front's, but I found the 100hz to be way too high.

So my subs and front's have an overlapping signal. Normally one would route the high-pass out signal from the X-30 to the receiver's left/right amplifer in, but I don't want anything to colour the signal going to the M-L's, especially for music, so I drive them directly off the receiver as per usual, and set the sub cross-over frequency pretty low so that they pick up the frequency where the M-L's start to drop off, minimizing the overlap. I usually have it set between 40-50 hz, so the sub level ramps up below there to fill in where the M-L's fall off.

There are better crossovers out there (e.g. Behringer), but I did not see any at local dealers. But I got a good price on the X-30 ($150 Cdn) and so far it seems to be fine. Really I'm just using it to control the cut-off for the subs.

-----------

Larry

4. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Larry,

Thank you for the info. Who makes the X-30 by the way?

5. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Joe,

the X-30 is made by paradigm...It is typically bundled with the servo 15 sub

Miles