svs sub with my paradigm cin 90's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Alton.M, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Alton.M

Alton.M Agent

I'm curently running cinema 90's with a PDR10 sub. If I purchased a svs sub, will the bass over power the cinema 90's? What difference would I notice in the over all sound?

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Ridiculously killer bass when it's called for, especially in movies. I'm running paradigm mini-monitors, and the addition of the SVS in music is worth it. If you calibrate it well, no sub should ever overpower your speakers or call any attention to itself. It should all be part of the same sound, not "here's the music from the speakers" and then separately "here's the loud boomy bass from the sub." It should be one seamless experience. The difference between a PDR 10 and an SVS is staggering in terms of both flat response, musicality, and overall SPL level capability. If you want an idea take a listen to the paradigm Servo-15 ( a very nice sub IMO, but much more expensive than an SVS [​IMG] )

The key word here is "capability." An SVS should NOT sound louder listening to normal music with some bass here and there. It should sound better, less bommy, and extend deeper. Where the PDR maxes out on really bass-heavy music and on movies, where LFE tracks and the like demand HUGE amounts of bass, the SVS will be there to delivier everything it's asked to, and nothing extra (i.e. horrible boominess).