What's new

SVS Sub vs JBL PB12? (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit

This is the same price as the PB12-isd/2. Why wouldn't I get the /2 with two 12's instead of the Plus with only one 12?

Anyway, I wanted something less $$$ too.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Sorry.. they have changed the numbers on me... I have a PB2+ and figured the pb12+ was the same thing but guess not... I need to run over there and look harder I guess. Its one of those things that after you finally get what you want you don't visit as often... sorry bout that...

Des Flurane

Auditioning
Chris,
You want something for nothing? You want impressive, but you don't have the dollars for that in your room.
Get the best you can afford, then just calibrate, sit back and enjoy.
For around $400 get the PB10 ISD and be done with it.
Des.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Des...

Get the sub Tom or one of the guys at SVS says you need for your size room. If you can't afford it.. wait or get a smaller one which will be better than nothing and absolutely better than any JBL sub.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
So, lets get something straight... Nevermind the room size... We know it's big. The JBL PB12 has 250 watts of power. You might think; this sub in a 7000 cu ft room wouldn't do much.

I was listening to the pod race in Episode 1. The JBL did have some tactile performance and sounded pretty good. It didn't bottom out at moderatly loud levels.

It sounded decent to me, but then again, I haven't heard a better sub for HT so I don't know what I am missing.

Based on this, would using a SVS 20-39PCi at only 75 more watts and the same size driver as JBL do anything more for me?

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
Based on my PB10-ISD, I would definitely say that 20-39PCi will beat the crap out of that PB12. In fact, my SVS PB10 can beat the JBL PB12!. The JBL can't and won't do much below 25 or 23 Hz(I forget the exact specs). If you take a look at the response curve of the SVS 20-39PCi you'll see that it puts out close 90db at 20Hz. That will NOT be possible for JBL PB12. Play The Incredibles at 10 below reference(heck, play at reference if you want) with SVS and you'll know what SVS can do for you.

It's upto you if it's worth the extra money for this upgrade.
If you ask me, yes it's worth it and yes you will love it. My SVS PB10 amazes me every time I watch a movie! God I love that Incredibles movie!

Joey_V

Second Unit

I think that's what everyone has been saying this whole time. Room size aside, look at all the posts people left before your last post. You dont need to ask again.

20-39pci > jbl pb12

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I don't know if AudioEnvy still exists, but if it does you can see if anyone lives near you has an SVS you can listen to. If you feel like driving to Cleveland, you can listen to mine.:D

I bought mine after hearing one at an HTF meet in Cincy, and bought one two weeks later. SVS subs are in a different class, when comparing to similar priced products.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Its not just about the watts. Don't get caught up in the numbers game. Its about the design and how everything works together more than it is about the watts.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Stephen is right. If that were the case, I would have never bought the PB10 and discovered what a gem it is!

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, if you are ever in Evansville, IN give me a pm. I have a PB12 ISD/2 that you can listen to. It puts out way too much power for me, I almost wish I got something smaller/cheaper :)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

I agree, John....I just picked one up myself and I love it.....I'm no stranger to SVS products, but it's amazing what kind of performance they got out of this for only four bills.

Philippe Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, take this from a guy who's done EXACTLY what you're considering. I had a complete JBL Studio series setup + a JBL PB12 sub. It was a good system, but I always felt it was lacking in certain areas. ~9 months ago I upgraded to an SVS 20-39PCi and I was in heaven. If you think your sub sounds good now, get ready for an awakening- that sub is ok, but in comparison to the 20-39PCi it's (no offense, man) amateurish. SVS subs are simply in another league and for the price unbelievable. They produce the cleanest, hardest hitting, distortion-free LFE that you can imagine.
Do yourself a favor and drop Ron Stimpson (one of the SVS founders) an email (he's around here and other places all the time) and talk about your situation- he will not steer you wrong.
Best of luck,
-philippe

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Would going to PC+ 525 watts and the upgraded TC driver do anything besides play louder? Thing is, I am comfortable with the gain levels now...

Joey_V

Second Unit
Not only more spl (louder), but cleaner flatter response (provided no odd room colorations) and a lower extension than the pbl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks