SVS Sub Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin C!, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Kevin C!

Kevin C! Auditioning

I previously had a 16-46PC until some idiot (that is, me) spilled a glass of wine down into the cylinder. While I was extremely happy with the sub, I think now I'm going to switch to a box (for obvious reasons.)

I'm thinking of either the PB12 Ultra or the PB12-Plus/2. Seeing as they are the same price, what should one consider in choosing one over the other (aside from size/weight)?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Room size is how I would decide that. How big is the room? I believe either of those should definitely give you more output than the 16-46.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would lean toward the PB12-Plus/2 for the following reason: SVS has recently updated its Plus driver and many say that it nears the performance of the Ultra. They have yet to update the Ultra (unless I missed something) although I would speculate that the new Ultra should be down the pipe fairly soon. So, due to the closeness in the quality of the drivers, I would lean toward the Plus/2 for more output.

4. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Kevin,

That kind of alcohol abuse should be against the law.

You might be able to take out the driver, clean everything up, and be good to go.

If you want to upgrade, both gentlemen are right. The PB12-Plus/2 will have the output advantage, so if you have a large room, it's the way to go. It's also the better value between the two. Then again, if you have a small space and want the best driver they have to offer, then the PB12-Ultra is the way to go. So on top of your room size, how much time do you spend listening to music at moderate levels vs. playing action movies at "11"?

-Robb

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Why not upgrade to the newer SVS driver and save a little money in the process? Just be more careful in the future.