What's new

SVS sub questions (1 Viewer)

Steven Or

Auditioning
Great forum!

I was about to buy the SVS PC Plus 20-39. Before I do a few questions.

Are there any ever coupon codes or discounts on them? I did check the b-stock and they have none.

Is there any other sub I should consider other than this one? Amp is a Denon 4802, Klipsch Forte IIs in the front, Klipsch KLF C7 in the center, Klipsch KG5 in the rear, and Boston Acoustics DSi460T2 on the sides.

Placement question; Everything I read says subs should be in the corner which I can do. Does it have to be on the floor for best sound? Could it be above the front speaker on top of the Forte II. I do not mean I would have it standing on top of the speaker but I am building the entertainment center from scratch. Would a sturdy shelf on top compromise sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On the floor no, but yes, a shelf above will affect sound quality as the ports vent upward. E-mail them directly about b-stock as they may have some coming up and/or one or two that are not yet listed (happens sometimes).

Ideally, you do not want to put any of your speakers into an enclosed area.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Steven

With all due respect to my friend JG...I would suggest the HSU VTF3-MKIII or for about $90 less, the HSU VTF-3MKII is about as good as you can do other than some B-Stock deal. VTF-3MKII is on closeout at $559 plus about $53 shipping.

Tobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Arthur,

I'm deciding between SVS and HSU. Wouldn't the VTF3-HO be a better comparison to the 20-39. Haven't heard either so I was wondering in your experience if the extra power in the 20-39 would surpass the HSU VTF3-MKIII? I Like the price of the HSU. I've been going back and forth between the 20-39 and the HSU VTF3-MKIIII myself. Any opinion would be appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't heard it yet, but the HO should be more like a Plus not a PCi. I've heard the Mk2 and it is similar to the PCi/NSD subs.

Tobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
I've always read these two companies are very similar in sound quality as long as you get comparable units. Steven, I just saw a 20-39+ a few days ago. If you keep watching you'll catch one.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Steven,

You might want to consider putting the sub on the floor, and decoupling it. I found that my 20-39 coupled to the floor and excited strong vibrations in the walls (including cracking the paint *two floors up*). This resulted in a bogus FR below about 15Hz, as the bass in this range was coming from the walls resonating, not from the sub. After de-coupling, while I "lost" the room re-inforcement of the lowest frequencies, the sound is smoother and better defined (and no more structural damage).

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Nick

You really don't need the VTF-3HO...the VTF-3MKIII is a considerably better value. My VTF-3HO can shake the house and is much less conspicuous...my 20-39PCi is in my office and is just fine as a second subwoofer...I would just jump on the VTF-3MKIII at the introductory price...and the VTF-3MKII is one of the best values at this moment. With all due respect to my good friend JG. You just can't go wrong with the VTF-3MKIII...I waited over a year to get the introductory price on the VTF 3 HO and it was worth the wait...you should get the VTF-3MKIII before the price goes up.

Tobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Arthur, thanks for the advice. For Steven Or and myself, How would you rate the MKIII vs the 20-39+? I'm actually looking at getting duals and after reading Derek's post I'm wondering if that's more than I need...if such a thing is possible. Also did some searching for a diy subdude and couldn't find anything. What materials would work best? Little off the subject but it may help both of us make the final decision. Hope I'm not taking over your thread Steven.:)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Nick,

The "de-coupling platform" I made for my duals is approx 90-95% effective in isolating the subs from the floor, judging from the before/after room FR, and the advanced scientific method of tactile response measurement (read: I put WotW on, cranked it, placed my hand on the subs and foot on the bottom of the platform...:D):

Bottom layer: particle board (for even support on the berber carpet floor)

Next layer: a shag carpet sandwich (ie. bottom carpet placed "shag-up" and top carpet placed "shag-down")

Middle Layer: 150lb slab of granite

Next Layer: more shag carpet placed "shag-down"

Top Layer: Another particle board plank to set the subs on

... and a partridge in a pear tree. :D :D

So far, it has worked great, and it didn't cost me a dime (just shovelling the neighbor's walk for giving me the granite slab).

Steven,

Unless the shelf is extremely stable (essentially isolated mechanically), you risk introducing additional harmonics from the shelving. I would say a concrete floor (or something like what I did) would be best...

Tobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick

Derek, great info. This is exactly why I was going with duals. I'm still curious about a comparison between the MKIII and 20-39+. In theory the two should not be comparable. I'll get some subs and start working on the 150lb slab.:)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Rich

With all due respect:

I don't gain anything by recommending any particular product line...I am trying to help people get the most for their money based on decades of experience...I don't work for Mission, KEF, JBL, Nakamichi, Denon, SVS, HSU, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic, Technics, AV123, Consumer Reports, Kenwood, HTD...I am a clinical consultant.

I just wish I worked for HSU...thank you for contributing to this thread. I hope you enjoyed the Superbowl.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Nick

I have both an SVS 20-39PCi and a pair of HSU VTF-3HOs + Turbos...and I can't begin to use their full capacity even without the Turbos attached...dual VTF-3MKIIs at the clearance price of $612 (each) delivered should give you more bang for the buck than an SVS 20-39 Plus...more cabinet volume...two 12 inch drivers rather than one 12 inch driver...700 watts versus 525 watts...with all due respect to those who may disagree...I would jump on the HSU VTF-3MK2s before they are all gone. Please keep in touch.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tobe,

If your budget includes dual PC+ subs, please also consider a single PB12plus/2...or perhaps even dual PB12nsd/2 subs. The cylindrical models are great when you are looking for maximum performance from the smallest "footprint". But when the driving factor in subwoofer choice is cost/performance ratio...our larger dual 12" driver models have the advantage over our cylinders..:)

Tom V.
SVS

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Tom,

I currently run dual PC+ cylinders in my HT (~3200 ft^3), and am looking at getting another pair down the line for a second setup (same approx room size). You say that a single PB12plus/2 will outgun two PC+ cylinders, correct? Cost notwithstanding, what advantages do you mean (internal volume, port space, etc)?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Vader,

Well, it depends..:)

1)will the cylinders be co-located? If not, will they be placed in/near adjacent corners?
2)which extension setting are you planning on using?
3)when calibrating, do you set the sub(s) a little on the hot side?
4)how close to reference level will you push action oriented DVDs in the system?

Tom V.
SVS

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Tom,

1) My current cylinders are co-located (I do get the full 6dB headroom boost), and kinda-sorta corner-loaded: they are about 7' from the nearest corner. I intend to also co-locate the new ones.
2) I'm running in the stock 20Hz mode (still trying to get the courage to try the 16Hz in my air space - scared of bottoming them...?).
3) I calibrate them to 2-3dB hot
4) Generally, I listen at about 8-10 dB below RL (some DVDs require more slack - War of the Worlds is about -18 dB. The typical SPL at my "sweet spot" is around 106dB during the hottest scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks