SVS Sub question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John-Miles, May 3, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

The next upgrade i make will be a new Sub. BUT I am really not sure if it is worthwhile to get an SVS. I was listening to a B&W sub and damn was that sub tight. I have heard allot of good things about about SVS but the innability to audition one before buying definitely has me nervous.

so basically im looking for any and all feedback on these subs, are they really that much better? to justify a blind purchase?

2. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I may be biased as I own 3 SVS subs, but yes they are that good. I have a 25-31PCi and a pair of 20-39's.

I have never heard any of the B&W subs, but would be put my 25-31 against any sub under $2000(minus DIY)and feel confident that it could player lower and louder.

just my .02

earle

3. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I own a set of B&W's (600S2 series) and a B&W ASW1000 sub. That sub more than meets my needs for movies and music at this time. I've also had the opportunity to audition a few SVS setups.

Because of my room and because I got an outrageous deal on the B&W sub, it was the right choice. If I was paying full retail today however, I'd probaby go with an SVS sub. I just don't think the B&W subs are on the same level as the rest of their speakers. Dollar for dollar, I think the SVS's are a better deal.

Just my $.0.02
    Good Luck,
    --Steve

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

For HT, the SVS is pure bliss and clean powerful bass. If you're really picky about the 2-channel, and you want it for music, maybe the lack of audition is an issues, HOWEVER, you could always ship it back if you don't like it. That cost is probably worth the risk. Of any component, subwoofers are probably the safest things to buy online without an audition, because they are fairly simple. Well, not simple in design, etc, but in terms of what you're listening for. You're not dealing with the huge complexity of speakers, and imaging, and brightness, and spaciousness, etc etc. Specs and reviews will point you to the best bargain bass, and for HT, you'd be paying MUCH more for a B&W sub that could dish out the clean lows that the SVS can.

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

WOW ok guys i really appreciate the feedback, if anyone else has somethign more to add please chime in, im just looking for massive volumes of opinion [​IMG]

I was checking out the shipping costs and it seems that if i did get one and decide not to keep it it would cost me about 100 dollars to return it, I assume they would not refund me my original shipping costs so being out 200 dollars means i ahve to be pretty sure about ti before i order it.

(WHEN I upgrade, im trying to hold myself back till next year)

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

John,
    Just do a search for "SVS" on pretty much any HT related forum and you'll the "massive volumes of opinion".

7. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Also checking SVS's B-stock inventory shows how little returns they do get.

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

l

9. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Personally I think you would be a fool to buy a B&W over a SVS unless you want all the veneers on the speakers to match. Pretty much what makes a good sub is SIZE and SVS definitely compromise the SOF to make a sub that's smooth, flat, low, loud, and reasonably low price to do this. When you talk of their competition and not referring to their online only competition (ie HSU, Adire, RAD, VMPS, etc) you're usually comparing an entry level SVS to $1000 product, PC+ to a $2000 product, and Ultra/B4s are being compared to the flagships of RESPECTED sub manufacturers (Rel, Revel, etc). SVS isn't the sub for most if your systems in the main room and your SOF isn't enthusiastic about this hobby but if you have a dedicated room and have no intention to DIY then personally buy a SVS or some other online sub vendor as these should easily beat the competion found in most brick/mortar stores.

10. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

John,

Have you checked at audioenvy.com to see if there are any owners near you? I realize the chance may be small seeing where you're located but you never know...

Alex

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I checked audio envy.... no dice... not even in the 500 mile range, but then I would imagine there are not many people who register there so ....

any newfoundland members own one [​IMG] (somehow i doubt it, i think there are only 4 or 5 newfoundland members anyway)

By the way any canadian SVS owners mind telling me how much they had to pay in duty, when it crossed the border?

12. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

I have been enjoying my SVS Ultra immensely!! That's a good word for the experience [​IMG]

With 20hz tuning, it blends seamlessly with my Rocket 7.1 system and has the cleanest, most accurate bass I've ever experienced. Not a trace of mud or boominess. Just plenty of the good stuff. For my room, I can dial up as much (and more) than I want or need. Well over 106 dB. Did not notice any distortion, even when I overdrove it beyond the limits of the driver, causing it to bottom out. I have 600 watts (rms) of clean power pushing it, with well over 1KW peak on tap which helps too.[​IMG]

If I was starting all over again, I would buy it again with no reservations.

Gordon

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    add me to the "buy blind" list -- I'm in Singapore, shipping my 25-31PCi (tuned 22) cost US$106, so returning it would have left me out over US$200 so it was pretty much a buy and keep thing. no regrets at all.

on another local forum, I've since found out at least 4 other folk in Singapore have bought SVSs. I suspect none of them managed to audition one prior to purchase either, and all appear to be perfectly happy with their purchases -- in fact in the sales section, someone posted a request to buy an SVS, and the general response was along the lines of "good luck trying, no one wants to sell their SVS..." [​IMG]