What's new

SVS Sub: PC vs. CS? Also recomended amp for CS? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone,
Trying to put my home theater together. I am planning on buying the Denon 3802 along with the Diva Swans or Paradigm Studios. Anyway, I am still deciding on the sub. Based on the awesome recomendation and reviews of the SVS sibs, I am sure I want to get one of those.
I would normally go for the powered PC sub. It seems much simplier, but, of course, the possibility of an additional power amp for the CS line sounds like a nice opportunity to add an amp to the rack setup :)
Can anyone recomend a good amp to go with the CS SVS subs? Considering the price difference between the CS and PC, there's a $300 difference in the non-powered 20-39CS sub. I have found the Onkyo M-282 and M-501 might be able to be found for $300, as well as the Adcom lower sized power-amps. Any other brands I should consider? I've been out of audio for a little bit and seem to have forgotten some of the popular names.....
Also, with regards to the SVS PC vs. CS. Is this statement, found on the SVS website, something I should be concerned about? "One point worth noting, the PC line’s internal amps come with a variety of useful features such as phase control, volume control, selectable bass boost, adjustable crossover, auto-on, and both high level and low level inputs and outputs."
Thanks for anything you can offer.
Aaron

Clark Rozier

Agent
Aaron
I personally like the CS Series because of the flexibility of being able to add pretty much whatever amp you want. I have had no problems whatsoever getting my SVS to blend well with my mains (so I don't think that phase control, adjustable crossover, etc are all that necessary). YMMV
As for amp choice...
Let me tell ya man, I have a 25-31CS hooked up to an Adcom GFA555 and it kicks mucho ass. If you can scrape an extra $50 or so, I know you should be able to find one of these. You will not be disappointed.
Oh, almost forgot, my mains are Paradigm Studio 20's.
Great combination
Clark

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Thanks the the reply. Man... all these amp choices are killing me. I see J&R has a cool HK Signature 1.5 amp for $499. There even seems to be a B&K amp (something I thought I'd never own) at maybe $500, although I don't know if it'd power these subs or not. And yes, I remember the older Adcom amps from back in the day. Very cool.. I guess I'll keep searching and waiting for recomendations. see ya!
Aaron

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
I found a perfect amp for you lots of power for a verry good price.
For only $179 you get a 250 watt rms amp with a built in varible cross-over of 40Hz to 160Hz
AVA250.jpg

Which you do is build a housing for it just build a little box 11" tall 11" wide & 6" deep then mount the plate amp to the little box then you can hide the amp behind something and you will have lots of power to power the SVS.
Lots of people use this amp for there DIY subwoofers and get stunning results, It's a steal for $179 new.
check it out at
http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/ava250.htm
good luck

Matt Malto

Stunt Coordinator
I used the Adire AVA250 plate amp (see pic above) with my SVS 20-39CS and it worked great. I picked a used one up for around $150 I think. I built a small box from some MDF board that I picked up at Home Depot and had no problems. I just ordered a 25-31CS Sub and I think I'm going to go with the AVA250 to power it. Now to find a used one again...
[Edited last by Matt Malto on July 17, 2001 at 10:14 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Dont forget, getting the S700 from SVS with the subwoofer purchase can end up being a great deal on a very nice 700w amp. If you purchase a single 20-39cs with the amp...you get the amp for $370(849 total). If you purchase dual 20-39s with the amp...it's the same as getting the amp for $331.
Just something to consider before you go spend a lot of time bargin hunting to save $30-$70.
TV

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Most of the features of the PC subs go unused in the typical system where the receivers bass management handles the signal redirection. But I think the PC amp may have a subsonic filter. Ron/Tom, is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks