What's new

SVS sub owners who have cats... (1 Viewer)

I am about to order a 25-31PC and I wanted to know from any SVS sub owners who may have cats how the cloth finish holds up to cat abuse. My cats are relatively well behaved, but have been known to abuse my Velodyne behind my back occasionally. I am afraid the SVS would look like a giant scrathing post to them. Any experiences?

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I still think this is a funny subject, but someone did post this previously, so a search could lend you some answers. ALl I can remember is the guy said his cat was afraid of it. Really funny stuff.

Dylan Chan

Auditioning
I have a 20-39pc and 2 large cats (22 pounds each)who both have very sharp claws. Initially I worred about them mistaking the sub for a scratching post, but I have not once seen them try to sharpen their claws on it.
My cats seem to use the carpet or the side of my bed mattress instead.
One option you could try is clipping the very end tips off their claws when the sub comes in and watching them when they're in it's general vicinity.
The only problem I've had is with my eldest cat jumping up on top of the sub to better survey his domain :) . This resulted in a slight dent to the grille but I was able to bend it back with few dramas.

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
3 indoor felines here and a 16-46CS. Two of the critters have been de-clawed on the front and the third is still fully armed. She does her share of damage elsewhere, but thus far not a one of the cats has touched the SVS that I know of.
Jerry

Westly T

Second Unit
My cat has never done anything to it, other then smell it. Cat's don't seem to care for the fabric used on the SVS, perhaps it's too smooth for their liking. My cat prefers the speaker grill on my big screen TV!

Thanks to all for the responses. I feel less fearful now getting an SVS.
Dylan - 2 - 22 pound cats - Wow!
Any other experiences from owners would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I have three furry critters and one SVS 20-39CS, and haven't had any critters claw the sub in the year I've had it so far.
The fabric that SVS uses doesn't seem to appeal to cat's scratching instincts. So I wouldn't worry about it.
But... if you have an oddball cat who does decide to sink a nail or two into your sub, there's one quick fix for that... The Haunting-DTS! That'll scare kitty away from the sub permanently! :)
KJP

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I have one cat who is declawed in the front. She still likes to paw at the edges of boxes but she hasn't even touched my PC39-20. :)
Brian

Han

Second Unit
I'd only declaw if it's the last resort. Anyway, here's my story (I started a thread months ago on this exact topic involving SVS subs). I never bought one, and am working on building my own.
My old old JVC speakers that came with my old old stereo system got a couple of scratches from my cat. So when I finally delved into the realm of "good" equipment, I was afraid my cat would do some damage to my Energy mains and sub, since those sit on the ground and have fairly large fabric grills. I saw him eyeing them a few times at first, but I was always able to tsk him away from them (he knows exactly when he's doing something bad, since his reactions to my tskings are only in fear if he's about to do something wrong, while no reaction if he's not doing anything).
Anyway, I got tired of having to watch out for him all the time, so I removed the grills and sprayed lemon scented spray all over them and place them back on. From what I've heard and what I've seen, cats hate that smell. So now, my cat (now cats) never touch the fabric of any of my speakers. They do occasionally jump on top of them though. :)

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I've got two cats, one SVS, and zero scratching problems. Hope yours are as respectful of the sub as mine!
Pieter
------------------
BoomRoom
"You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingist day of your life, even if you had an Electrified Fooling Machine."

HughScot

Grip
Forget the cats-------since you have the best sub with a Velodyne why get a SVS?
------------------
Hugh Campbell

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Hugh:
In my opinion SVS pounds velodyne to the ground. For the same price as the average HGS-18, you could get 6 20-39CS's and 3 Samson amps to drive them. I think that setup would kill velodyne, of course space would be a problem.
Velodyne makes good stuff, but SVS beats most of thier subs at half the price.
Since you call Velodyne "The Best", I assume you havent heard an SVS setup, you might change your mind!
Jeff Peake

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Have twin 20-39's and had one cat but I have no idea were it went after the night it was wandering in my HT room during a demo of a few of The Haunting scenes??
Maybe it found a home without SVS subs in it?
Sure do miss that cat…. Oh well, back to some serious bass….
wink.gif

------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Cats cant stand anything on thier paws! If worried that kitty may get the claws of doom out, pick up some clear 2 inch wide ~ two way sticky tape.
(Assumeing your SVS is on carpet)
Now apply the tape in a circle around the sub aprox 4 inches out from the bottom as this is where kitty would general stand while doing scratch damage. The first time the cat sets foot on the tape will generaly be the last. They cant stand anything touching and especially sticking to the bottoms of thier paw pads.
Ive yet to see this not work. Give it a try, it's a hoot to watch em when it happens. :)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
2 cats and one 8 week old kitten.I have a 20-39cs and Servo15a plus my screen protector on the Tosh TW40 has been removed.The stikcy two way tape is a great idea,when people come over they wonder why its all over the couch,loveseat, and chair, It Works.Also invest in a small squirt gun and keep it handy.When the kitten or cat starts to make their move shoot him. They hate this,try not to let him/her see where the shot came from so they believe that when they touch the sub or whatever they get nailed with water. After a couple of times they won't go near it. A very humane way to accomplish behavior modification. Keep plenty of other toys and a scratch post around to occupy their natural instinct to sharpen their claws and to scratch their prey drive.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks