What's new

SVS sub not shielded...now what? (1 Viewer)

John_V

Agent
I just found out that the SVS sub I've been planning on adding to my home theater is not magnetically shielded. I have a limited amount of space in which to arrange my gear, and the sub would have to sit right alongside the TV (a Sony 34XBR800).

I don't want to risk magnetic interference with the TV, but I really like the price and features of the SVS subs. Does anyone have a suggestion for another powered subwoofer that is shielded, costs around $500-600, and has the low frequency response of an SVS sub?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Good luck on finding a shielded subwoofer (not saying they don't exist, but they are pretty hard to find). Is there really no other place to put the subwoofer away from the TV?

John_V

Agent
Is there really no other place to put the subwoofer away from the TV?
I made a diagram of the space I have to work with. You can see that I could put the subwoofer on the far left, away from the TV. However, this would put the left speaker much closer to the TV than the right speaker. Not ideal for balance (and the main speakers aren't shielded, either).

I could perhaps put the sub behind the left speaker and leave a gap between the speaker and the TV (my wife would put a pretty plant there). I'll have to measure to see if I have the space....

Chriss M

Second Unit
I don't think you'll have a problem. The driver on the SVS is at the bottom of the enclosure, so it will be close to the floor and not right next to the TV tube.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Putting the sub behind the speaker is not a bad option either. Explore both and use the one that sounds the best to you in your primary seat.

Chip E

Screenwriter
My setup looks just like yours with my SVS right between my left front main and the tv. No problems in 1 1/2 years at all. I wouldn't sweat it.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
If the driver is on the bottom of the SVS then I think you'll be ok. The diagram you have is my setup. I have an 18 velodyne 4 inches from a sony 32" tv. The sony is a lttle higher than the sub. No magnetic issues to the crt at all.

John_V

Agent
Glad to hear those of you that have the sub next to the TV haven't had any problems. I'd be willing to try it, then.

Have those people with the sub alongside a tube TV had any problems with vibrations affecting the TV?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
John,

With the thousands of SVS's now in the field, there has not been one report of EMI (electro magnetic interference) with any sort of TV that I can recall. Direct view OR RPTV.

Nor any reports of vibration issues with direct views. Now and again we hear someone's DVD player skips due to a shaky mounting, or the relatively thin screen of a RPTV is "jiggling" due to very close placement however. It's usually something that is resolved with a movement of a foot or two.

BTW,with some of the top systems (dual CS-Ultra/SS, the new B4-Plus) we've actually experienced EYE BALL jiggling. This is when it appears your set is moving a bit on a big bass hit. In reality it's your optic nerve (or cornea, we're not sure ;^) This is extreme level testing and not something we do for long. It doesn't seem to have affected us much either.

much either.

much either.

;^)

Ron

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe you'll have a problem with EMF but if you do there is a solution.
http://www.lessemf.com/mag-shld.html#274
There is a product called MuMetal (top of that page). It's a foil that gets wrapped around the magnet of the driver and then folded over the top. Obviously you have to take the driver out to do this but that's not a big deal, especially if you really want an SVS but you do have EMF interference. Adding MuMetal will NOT affect the performance of the subwoofer. There are other options, such as bucking magnets but those need to be matched to the size and strength of the magnet.
I don't think you need to worry, though. It really shouldn't be a problem.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
What about neighbors below? Could they complain about spots on their TV if it's placed direcly below where the SVS is on the upper floor.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
What about neighbors below? Could they complain about spots on their TV if it's placed direcly below where the SVS is on the upper floor.
Could they complain about the SVS causing spots on the screen. Yes. Would they be full of it. Also yes. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks