SVS Sub--good problem to have?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CollinMorphew, Nov 6, 2002.

1. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought an SVS 20-39 from a HTF member--love those classifieds. Anyway, it has to be amped externally. I really don't won't to spend the money right now to buy another amp--the STBSOWOAR (soon to be significant other waiting on a ring--how about that for a new acronym) rolls the eyes for speaker wire after she sees all the stuff I already bought. Anyway, I have a amps but none are bridgeable. What I'm basically left with is a single channel of an ADCOM 545 which is 100 watts. My question(s) is this going to give me anything? Am I better off just using the Sony SW40 powered until I can get a seperate amp for the SVS? I really just want the most out of the SVS with what I have but I don't want to cheat myself on what I could get. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

should do you fine until you can upgrade. You may not be getting the most out the SVS, but it should easily surpass the sony, at least in extension

I used a receiver channel with pretty nice results for a while.

good luck

3. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help. So I could run the sub out of the receiver to the amp and use regular speaker from the amp to the sub and get pretty good results?

4. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

bingo

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I helped my brother build a 16-46 clone(16-50 by SVS spec) with the SVS drivers everyone was unloading here. We tried it with an AudioSource Amp5.1 (100w, also for sale in the classifieds[​IMG]). We measured peaks over 110 db so I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with what it can do with a small amount of power. We also tried a Yamaha HTR-5250 which also gave quite an admirable performance, but the Audiosource was noticeably better.
    Oh yeah, the SVS will stomp all over the Sony with that 100 watts.