SVS sub Getting my mind right

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy Usher, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I have read so much about these subs. A speaker-builder friend of mine says these are the best kept secret around.
    I think I will buy one, probally the 16 or 20 version, no amp. I have a Rotel 981 bridged puts out over 350 @ 8ohms. I not affraid to run this amp under 8 bridged especially with the limited bandwidth. I have ran a pair of 2ohm speakers for hours on end without any signifant heat or audible problems. My question is What do you who know of such things think about this set-up. I love HT (and music) and I cannot live with distortion, I want good tight, accurate bass. I have 4 tens that I use now, built by my SB friend that are the best sounding subs I have ever heard, but, they dont go below 40hz period. You can boost the bottom and all you get is 40hz and push the amp harder. I have lived with this for 2 years now only because they do sound that good, most of the time they are fine but occasionaly I do like to scare the old woman by rattling the broiler pan in the oven among other things.
    I have listened to the Paridigm Servo 15 and IMO it is OK.
    I dont expect a $500 woofer to outdo the Servo 15 . . .or do I?

2. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Myabe not out do, but it will hang with it.

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Seldom do I get excited about this stuff, but for some reason it feels like I am looking into my first sub. I guess since I have searched so hard, I have not found anthing negative about these subs, except that it is like putting a water heater in your living room. If a water heater did the job I would consider it as well.