1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS sub Getting my mind right

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy Usher, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I have read so much about these subs. A speaker-builder friend of mine says these are the best kept secret around.
    I think I will buy one, probally the 16 or 20 version, no amp. I have a Rotel 981 bridged puts out over 350 @ 8ohms. I not affraid to run this amp under 8 bridged especially with the limited bandwidth. I have ran a pair of 2ohm speakers for hours on end without any signifant heat or audible problems. My question is What do you who know of such things think about this set-up. I love HT (and music) and I cannot live with distortion, I want good tight, accurate bass. I have 4 tens that I use now, built by my SB friend that are the best sounding subs I have ever heard, but, they dont go below 40hz period. You can boost the bottom and all you get is 40hz and push the amp harder. I have lived with this for 2 years now only because they do sound that good, most of the time they are fine but occasionaly I do like to scare the old woman by rattling the broiler pan in the oven among other things.
    I have listened to the Paridigm Servo 15 and IMO it is OK.
    I dont expect a $500 woofer to outdo the Servo 15 . . .or do I?

2. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Myabe not out do, but it will hang with it.

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Seldom do I get excited about this stuff, but for some reason it feels like I am looking into my first sub. I guess since I have searched so hard, I have not found anthing negative about these subs, except that it is like putting a water heater in your living room. If a water heater did the job I would consider it as well.