What's new

SVS sub gain question (1 Viewer)

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I have an SVS 16-46PC (with the powered amp of course) and a Marantz SR-7000 receiver connected to the sub at line level. I've read several times that we are supposed to turn the sub gain all the way up and adjust the level from the reciever. On my receiver, I can only adjust the sub level to -9 or -10 (I can't remember exactly). I like to set it no less than -6 so that I have a few dbs either way for fine tuning. In order to balance the sub to the other speakers using an SPL, I can only turn the gain up about one third of the way. Is this causing me to lose some of the clarity? Is there a way for me to turn the gain up and adjust somewhere else?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

The reality is that often people encounter your situation. I recommend running the amp wide open, and that is the ideal situation- but I don't think you're necessarily losing out on a quality to not do so.

The issue comes down to how the inputs "reduce" the voltage coming into the amp- some products do a good job, some don't. Because of the "some don't" possibility I prefer to error on the side of assuming that most don't- and trying to avoid running the amps with the inputs turned down.

But that being said, in your case, it is simply necessary for proper calibration. It is possible to add a gain stage of some sort (EQ, or even just a pad) to reduce the output between the Receiver and Amp-- but the chances are equally good that this pad might also add artifacts to the chain.

So the best bet is to go ahead and turn down the inputs on the amp. If you think that there might be something lacking as a result, you could invest in some sort of way to pad the input down. But I would suggest not bothering to spend the money until you decide if you hear a difference-- because you might end up buying a product which does exactly what your input pad on the amp already does.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks