What's new

SVS Sub Distance Too Far Away? (1 Viewer)

MikeDierbeck

Agent
Hello there-

I did some rearranging of my home theater room. I have a 65" Mits Widescreen TV and it looks best at about 16 feet away, so I moved my seating arrangement around so that I am seated 16 feet away from my TV. My only corner available IN FRONT of my seating arrangement for the SVS 20-39PCi ends up being 17 feet away. When I calibrated the sub to about 87, I wasn't getting that "punch" that I received when I was seated about 14-15 feet away from my sub. I am thinking that maybe I am too far away from it.

The only possible corner would be about 5 feet BEHIND my seat. Of course, I need to find a longer cable because that would run from the receiver on one end of the room to the other end of the room.

I do have a computer desk that kind of creates a corner with another large desk, but I don't know if this can really be considered a corner rather than just strategically placed desks. If I put it there, it would be about 4 feet in front of me and to the side. I'm not sure what I should do.

I'm not sure if I should just turn the Sub up a little more and keep it 17 feet away from me. I am able to set the distance of the sub into my receiver's settings, so I wouldn't think that distance would have anything to do with sound ... I'm thinking that acoustically, that corner might just not be good enough. By the way, the sub is in the right corner, about 2 feet away from the Front right speaker.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Mike

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Mike-

Every time you move your sub, be sure to recalibrate. Your sub is definitely a big dog (SVS) so it would be in your best interest to buy a calibration DVD (like Avia) and a SPL Meter (from Radio Shack) to do some calibrating. That way, whenever your sub is moved, you get new speakers, you change houses/rooms, you move furniture around, etc. you can recalibrate, and know you're at the proper listening levels. I used to think it may be overkill and that I could judge the calibration tones by ear, etc.--I couldn't have been more wrong. Honestly, it's money very well spent. I would suggest that as your course of action.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks