SVS Sub/Amp packages

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Ed, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Jim Ed

Jim Ed Agent

I am seriously considering a 20-39cs / Sampson 700 Amp package for part of my March bonus check. Of course I have a few questions.

1.) Are all the cables / interconnects bettercables?

2.) Does it come with everything needed to hook it up?

3.) I have a Sony STR-DE945 reciever, however it does not have any controls for the crossover level on the sub channel. I can do a -10 to +10 db, but I am not sure what that does, other that loudness. Will I get great sound from that reciever?

4.) Will it be a noticeable difference from my PB12?

thanks Jim Ed

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Ed,
    1. Yes.
    2. No, you have to add speaker wire to go to the sub.
    3. Fixed subwoofer crossovers are the norm. Only a few receivers are variable. 80Hz to 100Hz is perfectly fine. No worries there. The - to + 10dB is your subwoofer VOLUME control. It's key to making the subwoofer the correct level. Read our FAQs page here for more on this general area: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faqs.htm
    4. Yes. Big difference.
    Ron

3. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Jim:

I have the same Sony receiver as you. The 945 does have crossover control. If you cycle through the setup options (I believe, I'm not at home to verify which menu), you can specify the crossovers. You don't set the crossover on the sub channel but on the other speaker channels.

I've had my 20-39cs for about two weeks and it sounds awesome with my receiver and JBL NSP1 speakers. You will hear a huge difference.

4. Jim Ed

Jim Ed Agent

Thanks Todd for the information. I know where the crossover frequenices are set. I have not changed them from factory. What lvl db did you set your sub at?

Thanks Jim Ed

5. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I've been running the sub "hot" at -8. Actually, my sweet spot is only 2 feet or so from the sub and from that distance, even with the volume tuned to -10 (the lowest), the sub is still running hot to my other speakers.

6. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Jim Ed,
    What someone else uses for settings will be for info only. You will need to calibrate your speakers/sub in your own HT environment as your room acoustics will be much different from someone else's.
    Just a fyi. [​IMG]