SVS SS perform better than Ultra's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I was just curious If the soon to be released SS are going to be better performers than the Ultra's or Is It just going to be a looks thing?
    Craig

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Both to my understanding. Although based on what we've heard about the Ultras they will have some big shoes to fill.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Um.... how soon ? [​IMG]
    Should I wait??

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Craig,
    Performing "better" will depend on your desires. The SS line will have a bit lower tuning than the CS-Ultra, with a taller enclosure too, so some improved low end response is anticipated, though it'll hardly be a night/day thing. As we've put on our site, the CS-Ultra has the basic guts of the SS, but in a relatively restrained (though still elegant) package.
    The SS will look virtually nothing like our current subs (or anything in the industry) and have materials like hand rubbed hardwood (the basic line will be maple, stained to order). It won't be "like" fine furniture, it IS fine furninture. Customers will choose from the entire Minwax furniture stain line rather than select from a limited number of stock colors. We just arranged this with our woodworkers. They can deliver any choice to us in just a few days. Custom colors (that is, any color or wood you care to select or send in to us) will be available at higher cost. An SS can literally be color matched to whatever you like.
    BTW, I just dropped off our final prototype at our grill maker here in Colorado Springs for some final dimension tweaking, so it'll be at least another week before I have any photos for you. We're shooting for pre-order initiation on or about 16-17 Sep now.
    Everyone that's seen the SS around here has stopped in their tracks. I mean jaws drop, not fooling. This one is hand-finished red oak, which may be available as an option to standard maple.
    When you finally see one you'll understand... the projected 2X price over the CS-Ultra will seem like a bargain. Think Legacy, Dunlavey, Theil. Customers of these brands will now have a natural choice for a dedicated subwoofer (yet, still at a fraction of what they'd cost from one of the so-called high-end makers).
    As our flagship line we don't expect to sell many. The fact Tom Vodhanel will personally supervise the production and testing, and sign each of these subs ought to tell you that's unimportant to us. We wanted to create a "cost no object" statement that creates a new performance bench-mark in that category. The SS is it. It won't matter how much you spend, you won't get more perfomance, or style, than you will with our full reference SS package (powered by a Crown K1 amp and accompanied by a Symetrix 551 parametric equalizer, in case you forgot). Subs will be available "ala carte" was with our CS-Ultra line, but powered versions are not planned before the end of the year (we are starting testing of the digital amps that'll get mated to the powered SS and the "PC-Ultra" this weekend however).
    In summary, you'll get MOST of the performance of the SVS SS in the relatively affordable CS-Ultra line, but nothing approaching the level of materials and fit/finish of our most storied competitors unless you step up to the SS.
    Sorry for a long answer to your short question, but we wanted to update you all on the long in development SS. It IS coming and it IS going to knock your socks off. Hell, even I can't afford a set of these, so don't feel bad if you can't. Those folks that can will want nothing else pretty soon. They'll need to stand in line though. These subwoofers be "limited production" by their very nature.
    Ron

5. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I wonder If I sold my wifes car for a set of SS If she'd be pissed off? Hmmmmmmmmmm.
    Craig

6. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Doh!!! And to think I just "wasted" my hard-earned dinero on a 20-39CS [​IMG]
    *drooling*
    In just a couple years an SS will be all mine!!!

7. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"I wonder If I sold my wifes car for a set of SS If she'd be pissed off?"
    I wonder if I sold my wife....I don't know if she'd be pissed or not... [​IMG]
    Ron, Thanks for the update. I'm saving my pennies and I WILL wait my turn for one. It's taken self control to not upgrade to the Ultra from my PC, but I'm hangin'!
    These do sound like something very "special"
    Jeremy

8. ChristianT

ChristianT Extra

You know, my wife has kind of pissed me off lately. Ron, will you guys take a wife in trade for a set of SS's? She cooks and cleans, and she'll keep her mouth shut about your "hobby" if you use duct tape [​IMG]
    Christian
    Well, I guess it isn't a hobby for you anymore.

9. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Ron,
    If you won't take wife trade-ins, will you just take my wife's shoe collection? That should account for a pretty sizeable down payment on a set of SSs!
    Seriously, this sounds like an awesome product! A little out of my league at this point, but I haven't yet purchased an SVS, so who knows?
    ------------------
    Scott

10. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen
    Ron,
    Are the custom wooden end caps the only aesthetic change? That is, will the body of the SS still be a cloth covered tube?

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

As an owner of an Ultra, I can't imaging using a sub which goes lower, louder and cleaner... at least not without upgrading my home owner's insurance first! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

12. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

If I interpret this correctly I believe the whole body of the SS line will be finished wood. Can't wait to see some pics!
    Hey Ron! Do you have the Symetrix EQs available yet?
    Bruce
    ------------------
    "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

13. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Ellen,
    No, the entire sub is either solid hardwood, or hardwood veneer laid on our custom tubing, depending on the part in question. There is no fabric at all. Color matching our fabric and getting the gloss finish we wanted proved too tough for the vendors we dealt with. The overall design looks little like our current subs. It's still a cylinder but that's about all I can say till the pics are out.
    Simple, elegant lines and a unique venting system we've not seen anyone use before.
    I'll do my utmost to have the pics posted a week from Monday. We expect to do this the same time the pre-order page is put up. I'll be dropping the press-release here first.
    We are still working finish/color options for the rest of our line too though. We would still expect black to outsell every other color 10 to 1 but if we can keep the costs down we'll offer more variety on the lower end of our price scale before the end of the year. This may or may not involve fabric covers as we now use.
    Ron

14. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Bruce,
    You got it. And the body of the sub will match all other components, and be available in any color you can pick off the Minwax color chart (custom colors will be offered by our contracted finisher, though it might be a bit more in cost).
    P.S. We are pushing thru our first order of Symetrix 551 Parametric equalizers right now in prep for the SS release. Should have some to sell ala carte very soon.
    Watch our news page for the release of those too.
    Ron

15. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

Ron/Tom...Will the PC-ULTRA offer any additional benifit over the CS-ULTRA?

16. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Curtis,
    Just the built-in features like adjustable phase (hardly critical in most instances), and crossovers (ditto).
    Contrariwise it'll give up nearly nothing in performance to the CS-Ultra either. Much as our current CS and PC subs relate to one another.
    We hope to receive our first sample amps for what eventually will be for powered "PC-Ultra" and perhaps "SS-Ps" (that'd be SS powereds) but as you can imagine there is alot of R/D between amp samples and shipping product.
    P.S. Any minute now Jack Gilvey will probably make some crack about our "unique venting system" I think.
    Jack my friend you have no idea that pain we went thru on that one. Fortunately it's gonna look as good as it works!
    Ron
    PPS Ain't the edit function great? Sadly you can't pretend to be psychic any more. The "this note has been edited" tracks smart alecks like me.
    [Edited last by SVS-Ron on September 08, 2001 at 01:34 PM]