SVS - SR7200 connections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Heath Wade, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Heath Wade

Heath Wade Auditioning

I'm eagerly awaiting my new PC+ (#5369, I think I'm last on the list). I'm trying to get everything lined up prior to the delivery. My system will consist of Axiom M60s, a 16-46, and a Marantz SR7200 receiver. I prefer two channel music in source direct mode. The problem is that with source direct on the Marantz I will have nothing going to the sub. So the question is...will the following work, and allow me to utilize the sub in source direct mode.

One line out of the receiver's sub pre out to one of the SVS inputs.
    Another line out of the receiver's front channel pre outs to the other SVS input.

If I'm thinking about this correctly, this should allow me to listen to music in source direct with the sub while still sending the LFE to the sub on DVDs.

I realize that I'll have to mess with the crossover every time I switch from a DVD to music but I'm willing to do it if I can get the SVS working with source direct.

Thanks,
    Heath

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The point of source direct is to amplify only the original signal the way it was sent from the source, primarilly intended for stereo and multi channel analog, I'm guessing. This means bass management and tone controls are bypassed and whatever speakers are in use, are automatically set to large.

If you want the sub too, then you will set your mains to large and sub = yes, and not use source direct. If you listen to stereo analog, you will not have any signal going to the sub. Getting the sub to "work" with source direct is sort of defeating the purpose of it.

3. Heath Wade

Heath Wade Auditioning

John,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still a little confused though. I don't understand how using a sub would defeat the purpose of source direct.

The purpose of source direct is to bypass any processing in the receiver. It really shouldn't matter whether you are using a sub or not. Given that the M60s go down to 37Hz, the SVS goes down to 16Hz, and low frequencies are omnidirectional, I should be able to get a fuller, more accurate reporduction of the recording in two channel mode by using a sub, without compromising the soundstage.

The reason I want to do all this is because recordings sound vastly supperior with source direct on.

Please be patient, I'm new at this.

Thanks,
    Heath

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Have you considered using speaker level only connections?

I don't know what happens with LFE in DD/dts when you run SUB = NO...

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What kind of music do you listen to? There is very little music that goes down to the 16Hz range (and the SVS is good to below 10Hz I believe [​IMG] ).
    With analog, you are already using the source's DACs. Soruce direct does not remove anything more significant in the processing loop, other than bypassing bass management and tone controls, AFAIK. (I may be wrong there)
    I completely agree that music sounds better in source direct, but I have a feeling that it sounds better with source direct on because you are hearing your mains full range, which is allowing them to handle the midrange without the x-over, allowing them do their job the way they were designed to.
    Personally, I use soruce direct, shut off my sub, and just listen to my mains for critical listening.
    Give it a try with the mains set to large, and sub=yes. This is almost the same thing as what you are asking, without requiring any switching around of anything or playing with the x-over. When you switch to source direct however, you will lose your sub, unless you pick up an SACD or DVD-A player.
    Does the SVS have speaker level input/output? As Colin M said, if it does have speaker level in/out, you can run the mains as large and use the SVS to control the x-over. LFE should be redirected to the mains with sub = no.
    Not trying to be hard on you, so I hope you don't feel that way. [​IMG]

6. Heath Wade

Heath Wade Auditioning

John,
    First off, your responses have been helpful. I don't feel that you're being hard on me in the least.[​IMG]
    Music is mostly americana so no real deep base. The SVS does have high level in/out. I'll have to experiment once it gets here to see what configuration sounds the best. You recommendations definately sound more efficient then mine.
    Thanks,
    Heath