What's new

SVS Speakers... I am not happy, can anyone help (1 Viewer)

Rakie

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Oooh, One last thing to think of Ralph.

Tape.

It's pretty much gone... Even the biggest bands record in protools, even though tape sounds MUUUUCH better, it's getting phased out. Engineers don't want that.

Also more and more music is being mixed "in the box" meaning not using outboard gear... The highest of the top 40 / flavor of the month stuff is still done on a board with nice analog gear.. But even some of that is touched in pro tools

Since pro tools is a digital platform "bits" of music fall off when it gets quiet, meaning if you have a recording of a nice big cymbal hit, and you have it decay... well, towards the end it's going to sound like "shhhh" as it gets quiet it'll sound like "Sh_h__ch__hch___" thats another reason, tied to lack of analog tape, that mastering is done the way it is today.

Kinda sad.

At any rate !!! Sorry to Hijack this thread Urjo. I hope you find what you're looking for, keep us updated.

And if you're interested in some of the processes of recording today let me know Ralph

Ralph B

Supporting Actor

my system's didn't cost alot if anything at all.

my main vintage amp is a low end Integrated Kenwood KA-400 (free on craigslist). only 45WAC but it doesn't screw with the music. I own three different Onkyo theater amps and not one can touch my vintage low end amp for sound quality on old cd's. I just had to adjust the DC offset and she was good to go.

the Large (walnut) Advents cost me $25 at salvation army (very nice shape) and I bought some new surrounds ($25 on ebay) and fixed them myself, still the cleanest job I ever did on a set of speakers , you can't even tell they were done. these speakers are so non-fatiguing its not funny. they may lack in the upper frequencys but the warmth and smooth sound they give really lets you listen for hours. I still can't find a speaker I like as much.

my turntable is a very nice condition Sony PS-X75 Biotracer DD TT ($70 on ebay including shipping). a very nice sounding table matched with a very cheap in price Shure M97xE cart/stylus ($35 special deal on amazon at the time). my total cost for this whole system was $155 and my $3,000 surround system cannot touch it for 2-channel stereo music.

for a cd player I am using a Technics DVD-A10 and although it is a dvd player too, its a great sounding cd player!!! it has audiophile build quality and with the techinics DSP defeated is the best cd player I have in my house. the cost was FREE from a friend and as you can see this system didn't cost me but next to nothing and sounds better than my surround system which cost alot more. my Paradigm towers I believe go down to 32hz but they can't touch the warmth of the Advents and are a bit too bright.

good sound doesn't have to cost alot. when I was unsatisfied with my surround system for stereo music I heard vintage equipment can be had cheap, well a little work and I found it to be true.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor

ya, I have heard of the use of pro tools. have read alot about music and the mastering, mixing and technics online. I try to understand why its done today. wasn't pro tools being used at the end of the 80's ? or something like that ? it is a shame tape isn't used anymore, but I heard even with the use of todays technology, you can get great sound and even better than the past if it was done correctly. look at the doors vinyl boxset, partly done digitally ? but it does have alot of resolution and sounds damn good considering how it was done.

nice to know young guys like yourself are around and can give hope that even with todays technology that things can be turned around sound wise. its not so much the technology its the people and industry that force mastering engineers to work the way they want and not use their craft the way they would like to.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Urjo, I feel that you are making a big mistake trying to throw money at the problem before you have identified the issue. Larger speakers in your current setup will likely accentuate the problems that you are having (boomy bass, etc.). I'm surprised that no one has commented on your room diagram... there are some serious issues with the current setup. Are you sitting on the couch listening to the music or are you standing in the middle of the room? I see no central seating for the screen or front speakers? Is the FR speaker really off from the front wall and the FL speaker against the wall? The rear wall is a large glass door... this is optimally bad.

Base = baseball, Bass = music/guitars. You should setup your receiver so it sounds good for all of your music. If things are 'boomy' (which they probably are given the empty, highly reflective room) then you will need to fix the issue acoustically. More expensive speakers will NOT FIX the issue.

PLEASE do the following experiment. Place your front speakers (FL and FR) at least 3+ feet from all the walls and connect them to your receiver. Ensure that they are the same distance from each wall (i.e. left is 4 ft from the back, right is 4ft from the back). Place the subwoofer either at your listening position or between the two speakers. Ensure that the mains are at the same height and that the tweeters are at ear level (at a seating listening position). Set the receiver up so that it only sees 2 speakers + sub and is running in stereo (i.e. it is sending 80Hz to the mains). Measure the distance between the two speakers. Place your seat 1.5x that distance back from the main speakers. Ensure that you are not close to the rear wall. If that big glass door has drapes, close them. Now fire up the system and listen to a well recorded & mastered CD (Dark Side of the Moon, etc.). Your system is now setup as well as possible (minus room treatments). For this experiment you may want to place your speakers along the long wall... this really helps with side reflections and will limit the effects of the big glass door in the room. If the speakers still are not to your liking then go shopping. Your current room has a lot of reflectivity (hard floors, glass doors, no wall treatments, etc.). Improving one or all of these things would greatly improve any system that you have in that room.

As Ralph mentions, great values can be had with used gear... if you know what you are buying and if you know how to fix any problems.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor

I was going to mention his room, but I think SVS CS chimed in with help for that.

yes , yes, yes and yes for everything greg recommended. I didn't catch that his speakers weren't apart at equal distance or height. that IS a big no no and as greg said, will not help imaging at all. another recommendation which will or will not help you depending on your seating is toe in your speakers a bit equally, if your centered in the room this can really help.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Simply put,

Don't expect pinpoint imaging all around the room either, it's not going to happen. You need to discern "Crital Listening" from "Casual Listening". Right now I am sitting 10' from my Left Main and maybe 6' from my Right Main. I am not being critical about my listening either.. Yes the stereo image falls apart at this seating position, doubly so since I have my mains toed in for my main seating position which is in the back of the room, dead center at ear level.

And then there are other times where I would gladly trade pinpoint stereo source for that big time hanging, light sound that you get with Planar Electrostats or Ribbons.

I really need to get off my butt and get my ribbon line arrays finished and set up my "critical listening" 2 channel rig, complete with tube power for the ribbons and solid state for the low end.

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
Yes i sit on the couch, the dining table area, and stand in the center while listening to music.

I checked the B&W CM7 today and they were great; however, i find SVS Book Shelf more clear and crystal than B&W. B&W did have very solid bass and front voice; great for Rock and 80"s music, but SVS is far more crystal listening to classical music or so. Now i like SVS better but still will listen to few other types.
I think i needed to send the room design to SVS directly which i didn't. I will and then they will get back to me accordingly i assume. Regardless, i will try this set up mentioned by Greg by Monday. Got to get ready for the storm that is happening from Sat & Sun.

I enjoy this thread so much; i am really excited to find all these new technology. I doubt I would find anything like this in any book or so... It's just great. I am getting a little addicted to it now...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Okay,, in a few days now...

Thanks

~urjo

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
remember, those speakers you auditioned will sound totally different in your house.

also, don't confuse crytal clear with bright. not saying the SVS speakers are brighter but sometimes less is more and the B&W just might be warmer which is a very good thing when it comes to 2-ch music.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
OK, now I'm impressed. You liked the SVS better than the CM7's. I almost bought CM7's this summer but the center was not so good (and they stretched my budget more than I wanted). Guess I'm going to have to get some SVS towers in to demo. Maybe soon there will be some Axiom M60's for sale.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
remember, those speakers you auditioned will sound totally different in your house.

Well i did realize that where i checked the B&Ws, the room was full with acoustics. Also, there were multiple amps and EQ before the speakers. I took that in the consideration and also thought the SVS would sound far better in that room compared to my home.

If I were to describe them, i would say they were warmer, front voice and solid bass; sounded very rich for sure. But SVS has clear and brighter/sharp voice, a little deeaper and a bit delicate bass. I wanted to check the B&W CM9"s but they are new and will be in about 2 weeks from now...

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
I checked out few pairs of B&W speakers at another dealer. He had it hooked with just an old receiver with an old DVD player; not enough acoustics in the room either. I played my own selected CDs. Out of few, i only liked the 804 series. They were warm and very present but not as natural and clear/bright as SVS. 804's were $4700.00 and i was still not willing to let go the SVS regardless their performance.

Now i am convinced so far and do like the SVS. I changed a few position and it sounds much better as well. However, i am going to order a pair of the MTS series and see which one are better and finally return the other or so...

I will post my final reply after i receive and compare the MTS towers with the MBS...

Once again, thank you so much for the support..

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
I finally ordered the MTS towers a week ago and am enjoying them. They sound just great. The bass is much better and deeper than the bookshelf speakers. I find them a little warmer and more front/present as well.
I doubt if there is any spot in my room that I have not tried putting the speakers. I spent a lot in shipping, and I went so many places to check other technology and speakers, and after all the effort, search and help, now it just feels more than worth it.

Again, this forum is just great and the help here is more than anyone can imagine. I also don't want new user to have any bad impression about the SVS speakers as it was said "a personal taste" and I am more than happy with the SVS- MTS Towers now. (4 stars for SVS customer service as well)

Again, many thanks for all your support.

Warm regards...

~urjo:
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508