SVS shut itself off and won't turn back on...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Daeo, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

I was using my sub last night when all of a sudden I wasn't hearing any bass anymore. It never sounded like it was straining at all and never bottomed out once. I checked to see if a circuit breaker was tripped and it wasn't. I looked at the fuse inside of my SVS and it appears ok also. All my connections look to be ok. No power appears to be getting to the sub at all(little green light doesn't light). Anyone have a suggestion or clue to what happened. I've already e-mailed cust serv and are waiting to hear what they have to say....

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Sometimes fuses will look OK and have a hairline fracture.
    This is due to fatigue in the fuse's element

If you have an ohm meter check it with that or try replacing the fuse with a new one. Other than that check the obvious (i.e.,make sure plug is securely connected at both ends, etc.)

Regards

3. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

I'll go to the hardware store right now and see if the fuse is the problem. Thanks...

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Matt,

Definitely replace the fuse before we go any farther. If it ends up being anything more serious...we can have a brand new unit on the way to you within 24 hours. This is the good/bad of being a 100% "mail order" company dealing with electronics.

GOOD = reasonable pricing because we don't need to feed an extensive dealer network
    BAD = every single one of our products must go thru the typical shipping knocks/drops(abuse) UPS can deliver.

TV

5. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

Ahhh. Although the fuse didn't look as though nothing was wrong with it, after replacing it my SVS is as good as new. Thank god that's all it was. Sorry for the false alarm guys, and thanks for the help...

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Woohoo!! Group hug everyone [​IMG]
    Glad you got your bass back!

7. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Matt,

Thanks for the update. Even something as mundane as a fuse working (or not) is clearly important to us.

Please give us a shout if you encounter any other failures with your fuse, or any aspect of your sub for that matter.

Ron

8. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

Thanks again. Dealing with SVS has been a pleasure. Their customer service is unsurpassed in my opinion...

9. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

So now lets give the HTF a big pat on the back.. Glad to here your sub is up and about now. Things happen.

11. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

It's amazing to me that when anyone posts a problem with an SVS sub...I count no more than 2 or 3 responses and SVS is on top of it! I don't own an SVS yet...but I can tell you based on what I have experienced on this forum..I SHOULD!!!
    SVS is awesome!

12. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

You're right Mike. I had a sub that was damaged in the shipping process and I had a new sub within 2 days. They have just about the best customer service that I've ever seen...

13. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree on the service too! I bottomed out my 20-39 PC+ and messed up the driver. I contacted Tom at SVS and he emailed back IMMEDIATELY and was ALWAYS right there to chat about it with. He rush shipped me a new driver at no cost and included a free t-shirt for "my" trouble, can you believe these guys?!!! I break their product on accident and they are cool enough to send me a t-shirt, and they paid for the shipping and all! I was in total shock over the whole thing, I didn't think there was a decent company out there anymore, and then along comes SVS and changed my whole outlook. They definitely have my business for life and anyone I talk to gets a referral from me, the BEST product for the money and #1 customer service, hands down!!!

Thanks Tom and Ron for sticking by your product and caring for your customers!

14. Bill Mullin

15. Mark KU

Mark KU Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Bottomed out means he overdrove the drive. He did something like cranked the amp all the way, cranked the receiver sub calibration all the way, then cranked the volume above reference level. Then he turned on the Star Wars intro. [​IMG] (gross generalization, doubt that all happened)
    To avoid it, just use a disk like Avia to calibrate the system, and don't go way, way overboard on the volume the first couple times you use it until you get a feel for it. A lot of people want to get as much bass as they can the first time, and with an SVS, that's a LOT of bass. Just take it easy and go light at first, then ease up the volume.

16. Bill Mullin

17. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Guys, thanks for the props.
    If memory serves I believe Scott had the PC+ about 15dB *hot* and popped in LOTR with the master volume near reference levels. The subwoofer made it to the Gandalf/Saruman conflict before it gave out [​IMG]
    Since he now has the subwoofer calibrated a little more on the sane side...I expect he'll be trouble free for quite a few years.
    Tom V.
    SVS

18. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Scott! You should be ashamed of yourself.

19. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

Scott, you're a madman.

20. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

Tom - You're correct, good memory! Yeah it was a little hot [​IMG], which was a mistake, I thought it was correct, according to my SPL meter, but I had no idea LOTR's was created on the hot side, which made it double trouble [​IMG] Yeah that damn door slam when Gandolf was trying to leave did it in, CLACK! Man I almost shat myself when I heard that, ugh. I have since calibrated it A LOT lower to ensure longer life span of the driver and the sanity of my wallet [​IMG] Thanks again Tom!
    steve nn - I know I know, I couldn't believe that happened, I only had the thing for 3 days!! I guess I need another PC+ to satisfy my needs, maybe 2 more [​IMG]
    Steve Kuester - Thanks [​IMG] I'll take that as a compliment I guess, hehe [​IMG]