What's new

SVS: Should I go Dual or get a CS+ ? (1 Viewer)

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Folks,

I received my 20-39cs with the Samson s700 last week and love it. I was watching The Phantom Menace last night and the THX trailer showed me what people have meant by bottoming out the sub. I heard a huge single CLACK sound (scared the crap out of my cat). I was playing at around -6 db on the master volume and my sub is set to -3 db in the setup.

My room is approx 26'X 16" X 7 1/2'. Would an additional sub prevent this from happening or should I go for the CS+?

I still have around 30-35 days to decide what to do.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
You have a fairly large room(>3000 cu. ft.) and should probably get another sub. If I were in your position, I would keep the sub you have now and get a CS+ or send your sub back and get a CS Ultra.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I agree. Either get an addition sub (CS or CS+) or go with the CS-U for it. One or the other should help out tremendously.

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys,

Do either of you have the dual 20-39cs setup? If so have you tried the TPM THX intro with them ?

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I have a Citation 7.4 and a SVS 16-46, I haven't bottomed my sub out since I got a Cinepro 3K6III. I have tried the Haunting demo at full Ref. level on my Onkyo 989.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I was running a single 20-39 and blew its driver on TPM. I received a replacement driver from SVS and also ordered a second 20-39 just to ease any further pain. Now, TPM is no sweat. Or any movie I've run through them. Go with at least two 20-39 subs if you have a large size room.

E-mail Tom or Ron as to which is better for your room. I have no experience to the newest SVS subs.

Good luck!

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
I have twin 20-39 CS's and do not have a problem with TPM or the Haunting. That said I do have a small room (12 X 19 X 8 = 1824 cu ft) that allows me to reach ridiculously loud levels with no strain on the twins. I also reach down pretty low extension wise. I'm not sure how low but definitely low enough for the bass not to be audible but feel as if the room is being pressured up.

I would go for another 20-39 since you already have the Samson. Seems the logical choice to me and should solve your problems. You can basically count on the dual setup to go 4-6 db(alot more than it sounds like) louder before bottoming.

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Right on guys,

Thanks for all of the comments. It looks like I am more than likely going to stick with my setup and add another 20-39cs.

Thanks again

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Sean,

That's a good decision, especially since we kick back 5% to folks that decide they are twin SVS types after all (e-mail us).

Also, I hope it's clear that the settings on your system are practially meaningless unless you calibrated with an SPL meter and a test disk like Video Essentials, or Avia??

You could well be set up 10dB "hot" (that is your sub is that much higher than the mains) and not even know it. Now, that would sound fantastic on most movies and typical listening levels. But being at full reference level with TPM (in that aircraft hangar you call a HT ;^) and you are over the line with a single sub, I don't care what brand you are pushing.

Even if you are spot on with a metered calibration however, the Radio Shack SPL meter tends to be 2-3dB insensitive on most test tones so even a level calibrion (or 75dB all around) is really about 2-3dB "hot" on your sub.

So IF you sweated the calibration with a meter, that means you are just about at reference level now, in a monster room (-6dB master level, with the sub 3dB over that, and then add 3dB due to the meter reading low = dolby reference level). Given that's the single most demanding DVD on the market, it's a tough scenario to say the least.

Add a second sub? You got your 6dB headroom back in an instant. It'll be a revelation I assure you. Big rooms and big bass DVD's beg for twin subs. And we're not afraid to admit that. Just try to do it with any other make and still make your car payments is what we say!

Ron

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Ron,
I calibrated using AVIA but I will double check it tonight.
Either way , you'll probably be getting an email from me in the next few days .

Kevin_W

Second Unit
I run twin 20-39cs with the 300w Fidek setup. In a 25x15 room that is very open to the rest of the house, I reach bottom (on most bassy scenes) at -8 on the avia calibrated Denon but I also run the subs +5dB hot (so average it all out, it bottoms at near reference master volume level). Considering how much cubic feet I have to fill, the SV's move an incredible amount of air. I recommend two units myself.

I tell you what helped a lot was was the addition of the Art 351 and its subsonic lowpass filter. I have it set to roll off around 20hz and the SV's can be pushed a little harder now (without the Art, bottoming started about -12).

Good luck with the second tube and post back your findings.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks