What's new

SVS shielded? (1 Viewer)

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
Are SVS subs shielded? I will have to place my sub(when I buy it) near my set. most likly three to four feet away. My theater is not very wide. I have a RPTV so does it even matter? Please excuse my ingnorence about this but I haven't a clue and a search yeilded no results.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
They don't say the SVS drivers are shielded on their website so I'll assume they aren't. I know this has been asked before though and I'm 99% sure the response was they aren't.

I'd imagine the magnetic field they throw out would be similar in size to a Dayton DVC12" driver. When I was building a pair of those I played around with the raw driver a bit to see how close it needed to get to my RPTV to cause convergence to go out of whack. I needed to be within 2 feet or less for it to happen. Out at 3 or 4 feet nothing happened.

So although I can't say for sure, I'd say there is a really good chance that 3 to 4 feet shouldn't cause any problems.

KeithBR

Agent
Dustin is dead on, which is getting annoying :)
If I move my 20-39 under 3ft, I my picture on my tube starts to turn. My sub is 4ft away just to be safe.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
As Dustin said, no shielding on any SVS's (I don't think most high-performance subs are, but given how rarely this is an issue it's not as though we have studied the market on it either). Because the woofer on an SVS is down within inches of the ground,and TV's tend to have tubes a few feet OFF the ground you typically can put one within a foot or two of the sub.

Rear projection TV's (RPTVs) you can put virtually touching the sub should that be necessary, since the cathode ray tube "guns" are still further inside the set.

Obviously each TV and setup will differ some. If there is no visual distortion of the picture then you are almost certainly fine. One note, the CS-Ultra driver is known to have a much more powerful magnet structure and may need a bit more space than a typical CS or CS-Plus in this situation.

We are often asked this question (time for changes to our FAQ's maybe!) but with thousands of SVS's in use around the world I can't think of any recent incident where placement of the sub couldn't be reconciled with a TV.

Ron

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
SVS-Ron says: "Rear projection TV's (RPTVs) you can put virtually touching the sub should that be necessary, since the cathode ray tube "guns" are still further inside the set."

I can attest to that. I have twin 16-49CS+'s right next (inches) to my Toshiba 65HX81 RP with no problems whatsoever.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Interesting thread.......Tom/Ron, I have a Hitachi 53" RPTV with room behind it for a sub......Would I find a lot of "rumble" effect by placing it behind the TV? Would the low freq's affect the display at all is what I'm trying to say.......If I could get an SVS behind my RPTV that may work!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks