SVS - seems like downside is really size?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam D, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Sam D

Sam D Auditioning

Ok, I've read a tons of reviews and the literature on SVS and seems like the only downside is really size.

Is that really true? I am a Magenepan owner, and really the downsides with Magnepan are: size, and lack of broad-based dealer representation. It seems like SVS is a similar manufacturer, except that dealer representation has been replace by the web.

Am I missing anything else? From what I've read, quality is high, price is low, performance is high, just size might be an issue.

Thanks!

2. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

There's a downside to size? The wives should be happier about "Bigger"! If they are saying bigger isn't better, then they are lying and you and they both know it! [​IMG]

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Hoffman's Iron Law is hard to get around. You can pick any two out of extension, efficiency and enclosure size; but the third will be dictated to you. And size is cheap, amp power isn't.
    And besides, the SVS subs are little :p)
    [​IMG]
    Sorry Greg if linking to this pic is out of line.

4. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Size is probably the biggest issue, yes; SVS subs generally try to maximize extension and efficiency to the detriment of compactness. Aesthetics may be an issue for some; if you like genuine wood veneers and consider your speakers as fine furniture, you may not care for the look (though the high-end SS model could work for you.)
    Many simply like the "no compromises" philosophy -- a small cube sub requires a ton of power, because it throws in equalization to get better extension at the cost of efficiency. An SVS sub is so efficient that it doesn't need a lot of power to play loud and low -- but, just to be sure, they throw a lot of power at it anyway. [​IMG]
    Lack of broad dealer support is obviously an issue, most notably in that you may not be able to audition the speakers and that returns can be a hassle. My experience with high-end audio dealers is that the "service" they offer doesn't come close to justifying the kind of margin they charge, but your luck may be better. Some people seem to feel that subs, unlike other speakers, can largely be evaluated by lab specs and have less of a subjective quality to them.
    The other problem is that people frequently can't decide which model is most appropriate for their room; "which SVS should I get?" is asked countless times. About that, everyone has opinions; mine would be something like:
    • 25-31 if you mainly want it for music or you have shared walls with a non-enthusiast
    • 20-39 if you mainly want it for action movies
    • 16-46 if you mainly want it for pipe organ music
    • Forget about the "how big is your room" formulas and just buy as much sub as your budget will allow; remember that speakers depreciate much slower than electronics and so your investment can last you a long time

5. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

Sam,
    As a Maggie owner myself, I can tell you that the SVS compromise in "size" is well worth it. I've tested literally almost 60 different subs/sub systems and the SVS are as close to a perfect match to Maggie's as you will find (until you get over $5000 for a sub).
    They are well worth any sacrifice ou need to make to mate your Maggie's with them, especially for HT! [​IMG]

6. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

If you want an idea of how big a SVS is, check out my HT on the signature. I took a pic of the sub besides me.

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Also, keep in mind that the amount of floor space it takes up is no different than most cube subs... they're just taller. In the case of a 20-39, that's 3 feet 3 inches tall. Vertical space is a lot easier to cope with. Besides, my 20-39CS+ looks MENACING in its corner, and I LOVE IT! [​IMG]

8. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

Size is only an issue if you don't have room for it, or if you don't like the looks and looks matter to you.

Regarding the dealer representation question. It is true that for many there would have been a reduction in anxiety if we had had a chance to listen to an SVS before we ordered it. But then, sub performance is SO room dependent that listening to one at a dealer is not all that telling. And with SVS, you have about 52 billion owners...who have put an SVS in just about every size and shape room imaginable...who tell pretty much the same gushy stories about their level of satisfaction.

Beyond the difficulty in auditioning SVSs, their customer service is legendary. If you have a question about your SVS late on a Friday evening, there's a good chance you can get that question answered by the designer of the sub on Friday evening. If you bought your sub at a dealer, maybe you can get an answer from a salesman on Monday.

9. Matt Lopp

Matt Lopp Extra

10. CoreyH

CoreyH Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I would strongly reccommend against opening Marcelo's site. It's pop-up hell.

11. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

Odd, I didn't stumble across any complications with his site.. the pictures did take a while to open, but other than that, it was fine. I blame the slow picture openings on my 56k though. Worst thing is going from 3 years of cable modem to 56k. I suppose I could buy like 3 less dvds and use that towards the monthly cable bill, but who wants to buy less dvds unless they have to???? [​IMG]

12. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

OK, Sorry about that . I changed it to tripod, only one pop up. [​IMG]

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

MarcVH points are all valid, although, I would have to add the SVS 25-31PCi would work for some that likes 75% HT / 25% Music ratio like I do! Most present DD/DTS 5.1/6.1 DVD's don't have encoded INFO below 20 Hz (a handful do out of over 15,000 DVD titles) and when you compare the SVS 25-31PCi to the SVS 20-39PCi in their speaker graph,
    [​IMG]
    ... there is less than a 2 dB difference in the 20 Hz point. It actually follows the 20-39PCi curve @ the same close 2 dB spread, down to approx. 18 Hz - which is why I knew the boys of SVS had a winner @ their lowest 'baby' size price offering!!!
    Each HT room is different, so it's important to take time to room integrate (plus silencing all the room vibrations) the SVS (or any sub) so the REF Calibrated HT sound will enhance the LFE distribution power in the HT room. My brother loved mine so much, he bought the SVS 25-31PCi for himself!
    In my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room, the right corner placement of my 25-31PCi provides all the air, floor, wall, couch REF Calibrated LFE power I need while watching my DVD's @ -10 dB below AVG REF Level. I monitored over 112 dB** @ my sweet spot while watching the INTRO of LOTR DVD w/friends over @ approx. -15 dB below REF Level!!! [​IMG] LOTR is one hot encoded glorious DVD Demo quality soundtrack mix!!! [​IMG]
    ** RS Dial = 110 dB / Weight = C / Speed = FAST
    Can't wait to watch Monster's Inc. , Spiderman & Attack of the Clones!!! Tonight's Friday NITE DVD is Jackie Chan's official HK DTS-5.1 "Accidental Spy" DVD!! (includes the 20 mins. that the U.S. version edited out) [​IMG]
    Phil