What's new

SVS SBS-01 vs Klipsch RF-10 (1 Viewer)

MacT66

Auditioning
Real Name
Mac
I currently have a kenwood HTB-505 5.1 "home theater in a box" and want to upgrade the speakers. the receiver puts out 100watts rms per channel.

My room is 25 feet long by 17 feet deep by 20 feet tall. It has a opening to the kitchen is which is 9 feet long.

Which of these speaker systems would be better?

SVS SBS-01 or Klipsch RF-10 home theater system

I can get the Klipsch locally at 20% off so the price would be about the same.

Thanks for the help!

Mac

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is a big room, so I'd have to say the Klipsch might be the simpler choice due to high sensitivity. However, soundwise, I'd personally the SBS package because it sounds great - the issue potentially being that they are relatively low in sensitivity so you'll definitely need something more powerful than an HTiB receiver. I'd also step up to the PB-12 sub at least for a room that size.

MacT66

Auditioning
Real Name
Mac
I went with the SVS SBS-01 with the PB12-NSD sub. I ordered sunday, it shipped monday and I got it thursday. Very quick!

Here are photos of the system. Replace "dot" with "." and "slash" with "/"

picasaweb dot google dot com slash MacT66 slash SVS

construction: The speakers are made with care and quality materials. The heavy duty binding terminals are 100% better than the kenwood spring clips. The center channel is about 3 times bigger than the kenwood. The 12" sub is at least 3 times bigger than the old 8" sub.

I am not a audio expert but the new speakers sound very clear. The kenwood reciever works ok but I had to increase the volume from -30db to -23db for normal listening. Eventually I will upgrade the reciever but for now i'm good to go.

I set the speaker levels by ear because the Radio Shack spl meter was on backorder.

I watched "The Chronicles of Riddick" dvd last nite. All I can say is WOW. I was very impressed. The parts in the movie where they shoot energy guns made the floor shake. I do not know what freq the floor shaking sound was but I did not really hear it as much as felt it shake my body.

This is my first system beyond the typical best buy stuff and I am very happy.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Mac

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rajbcpa1