SVS Samson & Cinepro buzzing & humming

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Smith, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Jack Smith

Jack Smith Agent

they were working beautifully together, then I moved all my gear from a wood shelf to a Boltz steel shelf and suddenly I am in buzz and hum hell. One thing I do notice is that when I remove the subwoofer cable (in parallel mode)the Samson buzz goes away. Is this a sign that the supplied connector or monster m-series cable has gone bad? I know a significant part of the problem was the position of my rptv (proscan), so it has been moved further away from the amps and speaker cables, eliminating that element. Now the biggest buzz is the Samson, and the Cinepro 3k6SEI (375 watts x6)to a much less degree. Is there any solution short of heavy handed filters that seriously effect the quality of sound coming through my speakers? I am using my Denon 5800 as the pre-pro, and added a monster HTS 3500 surge protector, but disconnected it when it seemed to actually increase the noise level. Help????
    we are the borg...

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I'd try the easy stuff first,
    1)put a 3 into 2 prong adaptor on the Samson AC.
    2)try a different sub cable to the amp.(any shielded cable works fine)
    3)try a different RCA-1/4" adaptor(if you're using one).
    TV

3. Ian_B

Ian_B Auditioning

Hi, I had a similar experience with the samson amp. I had the art351 stacked on top of the samson, and with this setup, the subs would hum, but when I pick the 351 up off the amp, the hum goes away. I think maybe the amp has some issue with having other metals touching it, that would explain why switching to the boltz rack caused a hum. Just a guess though.
    [Edited last by Ian_B on November 08, 2001 at 03:06 PM]