SVS & Sampson hook up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott VanAntwer, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Scott VanAntwer

Scott VanAntwer Auditioning

Well I have finally decided to add a sub to my system. I have heard all the rave about the SVS Subs but don't know if I can hook them up to my current system. I have a Adcom 555 amp and pre amp with an audio control EQ. I intend to migrate to a full ht system over time but for now I am just adding a sub, untill I can afford the AV reciever. Question: Can I add an SVS sub with the Sampson 700 to my current system and if so how does the cableing go. Thanks

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Scott,
    No way to do this unless you A.) Get an external crossover B.) Get an SVS PC subwoofer which has both low and high level inputs and the crossover you need. C.) Push up the budget for your Dolby Digial receiver.
    Hook up with any of the above scenarios is very simple. Take a look at our FAQ's page for a bit more general info. The bottom line is that you can't simply add a CS/amp combo to a two channel system without getting a way to manage your system's bass.
    Here's the FAQs page: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faqs.htm
    Ron

3. Scott VanAntwer

Thanks, Ron that was what I was affraid of. I have considered your PC subs but I feel they might be undered powered for what I am used to. My family room is 23 x 19 with 7 foot ceilings. I like to listen to music and movies at reference levels (who dosen't) and am using my 20 year old Speaker Lab Super 7's, I can't remember what the sensitivity ratings are on these but readings I took yesterday were able to reach the 105db mark at 3 meters. Do you think that your PC subs would keep up? My speakerlabs are 200 watts and 4 ohms and the adcom 555 pushes about 325 watts into 4 ohms. I really appreciate your help.

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Scott,

Certainly if you intend to hit full Dolby reference levels down to and below say 20Hz, one SVS PC isn't going to cut it. Neither would ANY of the very expensive competition either though. One PC like the 20-39PC would give you some very impressive bass, twin subs (a "someday" upgrade?) would be theater levels and beyond.

But don't mistake the relatively modest, real-world power ratings of a PC for something that "can't keep up" or is in some way underpowered. The megawatts some small subs use mostly goes to equalization needs. There is NO equalization used on the PC subs so that roughly 200 watts is all clean bass.

I'm sure your speakers are great (my mains are 15yrs old!) but I think you would be shocked to discover how much deep bass is on your DVDs and CDs they aren't even close to reproducing. We frequently hear from folks that add an SVS to simple two channel systems stating just this: They had no idea what they were missing. Even "only" one PC sub would demonstrate that.

It's not the end of the world if you discover that want to go another route, even if you have an SVS on "trial". That's what we allow 45 days for. I'd be shocked if you thought adding a PC wasn't the best speaker upgrade you've ever made but that's what no-hassle returns are all about. You risk only shipping costs, and we lose only the difference of new retail prices and a B-Stock (which returns ultimately go as). Works for us.

Our return rate is so low we don't even keep track of it. Just look and see how infrequently B-stocks go up on our site and you'll know this is the case.

Ultimately waiting may be your best option. Once you have a modern Dolby Digital surround system (or at least the receiver) there are a number of options available to you then. A pair of 20-39CS-Plus subs and a Samson S1000 would give you bass that's so clean and articulate it'd make you cry, and with sound pressure levels to match.

Ron

5. Scott VanAntwer

Thanks again Ron I may reconsider the order I upgrade and do the reciever first. Got any preferences for recievers. Thanks I will definently be talking to you more when I am ready to get my sub or subs.

Scott

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Scott,

No problem. SVS will be ready when you are.

I tend to favor Denon's lately for their features and excellent build reputation. I'm replacing an old AVR-2700 that's been great. The AVR-3802 has been unopened in its box for 2 months though. Helping to run SVS sort of puts a cramp in your time to work on HT upgrades. ;^(

Naturally receivers are very personal choices and there are dozens of great choices. Denon is just the one I've gone with twice now.

Ron