What's new

SVS S1000 Hum (1 Viewer)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my SVS ultra, and I have the black box if any of you are familiar. Anyhow I have it all hooked up and it loud and sounds great but i hear a humming noise from the driver and when i turn the gain down on the S1000 "amp" it goes away. Anyone no what my problem could be?

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Tried that guys, The hum isnt real bad but it is noticeable, it goes away with when i put the volume a quarter of the way down from where it is.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Tried that guys, The hum isnt real bad but it is noticeable, it goes away with when i put the volume a quarter of the way down from where it is.
Your system should be hum free.

Temporarily remove the "black box" for the system and see if the hum disappears.

Where did you insert the ground lifter; At the amp or at the black box?

Regards.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Well I tried the cheater plug on the Box and the amp, even my monster HTS3500 power center and no luck. One thing i did do is eliminate the black box and go straight from the receiver to the amp and it took the hum away. That box is a great little device though i can say, it seems like it gives me way more volume control. When i had the black box hooked up i had the volume on the amp all the way up like im supposed to. On the black box itself i had the volume at about 2 out of 9, and on my receiver -7. Now that i eliminated the box for a test for hums I still have the power all the way up on the S1000 and had to go from -7 on the receiver to about -3 or -4db to get anywhere near the BASS i had before. I still dont have the punch in bass like I did when i have the black box hooked up so i may have to up the bass more on the receiver since its maxxed on the S1000.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
i hear a humming noise from the driver
Try tightly coiling the excess wire between your amp and sub, sometime this can help. If there is no extra, see if you can borrow a longer cable, then coil it as I said to see if this will reduce or eliminate the hum.

While at it, it's a good idea to coil the excess power cord between the wall and the sub.

Good luck, Bill

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I'll give it a shot, Right now im using 12 gauge monster cable from the amp to the sub. Maybe ill try some other cable i have around the house.

dave alan

Second Unit
i don't know much about the svs connection cable, but it appears to be rca male to 1/4" male. the samson amp has only balanced inputs for +4 dbu components.

i don't see how it wouldn't produce hum. the black box only amplifies the hum, so removing it from the circuit probably only seems to remove the humming.

the connecting cable should at least have been balanced cable with the shield left off at the rca end, and 1/4" trs at the amp end. at the very least, the black box should have been designed for rca unbalanced in to trs balanced out.

imo, the samson (the crown k1 or k2, also for that matter), are poor choices for sub amplification and , in any case, the connection cable is poor design.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

I'm not as knowledged as you are on this stuff so i can only understand bits and pieces to what you are saying.
Anyhow what you are saying about the cable, it is a RCA male to 1/4. Are you saying that there are no ways around the hum then? Would a different cable produce no hum? every one that orders a Ultra Sub package gets the same setup I got, wouldnt they have the problem as well?

Thanks for your reply

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Damn Todd, didn't you just get a 20-39 PC+ a couple weeks ago? You went and ordered a Ultra too!? If so sheesh man, you're crazy!!!! How does it compare to the PC+?
Can't help ya with the hum noise sorry :frowning:

dave alan

Second Unit
todd: you can make a connector to use from the black box to the samsom.
use appropriate length of balanced cable (+ wire, - wire and shield).
at the rca end, connect the plus wire as you normally would, the minus wire where the shield would normally go and
leave the shield disconnected.
at the 1/4" end (use a trs, tip/ring/sleeve, or stereo 1/4" plug), connect the plus wire to the tip, the minus wire to the ring and the shield to the sleeve.
or, try this link:
Link Removed
just type rca to xlr in the search engine and scroll to find the right connector and length.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Hey scott I did upgrade to the Ultra, I dont have my PC+ anymore. I do get a little more DB from the Ultra but I am still experimenting with it. I upgraded because i may move into a house sooner then i though and wanted the best I could afford.

Dave,

Is there another Link then the one you gave me it didnt work? Thanks for helping me out.

dave alan

Second Unit
todd: i don't know what's up with the link. i do get to the sorry page. if you do, then just click on "click here", then type 'rca to xlr' into the search box. it will take you where you need to go. i don't think they offer a trs plug, so you'll have to look for an rca to xlr cable. the xlr jack will be male or female depending on what is on the back of the samson, and they come in various lengths.

if you have no luck, the company is bhphotovideo.com

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Todd,
I'm the fellow who mentioned that you should coil the unused cable between your amp and your sub, which will hopefully remove the hum. FWIW, I have an Energy LS-10 which I've had for about 3 years now and which originally had a fairly loud hum. At the time I had a 6' cable which left no excess for me to coil. I replaced it with an inexpensive Rat Shack 12' cable and wound the excess into a 4" coil, securing it with plastic quick ties. The hum immediately disappeared and has never returned. I was so pleased that I coiled all the excess cable behind my HT. This made no change to the sound, which was fairly good anyway, but IMHO it was good insurance against future problems as well as neatening up the mass of loose wires behind the system.
BTW - this coil thing is not a new idea. Radio stations do this all the time, which is how I found out about it. This coil is called a "choke"! :) Generally, neat/tight coils are more effective than loose/tangled coils, and 4 or more turns of the cable is best. It's OK to make smaller than 4" coils, if this is the only way you can get 4 or more turns.
Let me know if this helps,
Bill

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
"Damn Todd, didn't you just get a 20-39 PC+ a couple weeks ago? You went and ordered a Ultra too!? If so sheesh man, you're crazy!!!!"

Yeah, Scott - Todd went and left us in the dust. He's runnin' with the Ultra crowd now. You can still come over though.

Ed

Andrew CM

Grip
Todd
I have the same problem with my setup
Crown K1- BB - dual CSUltras
Loud hum with BB in the circuit which disappears on removing it from the circuit.
I emailed SVS about it and they r sending me a new BB to try out - something about "wiring of the transformer"
Will let u know if the new BB makes a difference
Have u emailed SVS about this?

Just my 0.02

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks