SVS Ron and Tom! What kind of systems do you guys have?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I am really getting into this Home Theater thing. I have recently purchased a SVS 20-39 and an Onkyo 595. I plan to upgrade my Polk speakers at a later time but they sound good for now. My question is to Tom and Ron of the beloved SVS. What kind of systems do you guys have and do you have a pic for us?

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

MC-12

Panny 91 DVD

Sony 940 MD

couple old RCA DSS receivers

cheap sony 200 disc CD

pioneer 504 LD

cheap JVC SVHS deck

xbox/ps2/cube/DC

pronto

Klipsch all around,

KLF30s,C7,SS-1,3.1s

4 SVs to the sides for the *stereo* bass enhancement stuff on the 12....1 PC+ for the LFE channel.

besides the lex, nothing fancy...but it works together ok.

TV

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

TV: a couple of comments. First, damn a MC-12, man am I jealous... then again, you certainly deserve to reap the rewards from all your hard work on SVS! Second, since I respect your opinion on speakers, what made you decide on the Klipsch? Do you really like horn based speakers? What was the deciding factor in selecting the Klipsch and what other speakers did you consider? Finally, what video display do you use and how do you manage all those gamebox connections? Which gamebox do you like the most, or is it all dependent on the game you want to play at the time?

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

TV: Oops, one more question. How do you avoid bass cancellation with all those subs in the same room?

5. John H

John H Second Unit

Tom,
    What are you using for amplification? Do you still fire up your 30" tube on occasion?
    John

6. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Tom,

Since you have two old RCA DSS receivers (as I now have as well), maybe you could answer my question that I posted in another thread. How do you handle changing the channel individually on each receiver with the remote? When I want to change the channel on one receiver, it changes on the other receiver as well. Do you know of anything to combat this? (Other than trying to point the remote away from one or the other...)

Scott

7. Tom Vodhanel

>>>TV: a couple of comments. First, damn a MC-12, man am I jealous... then again, you certainly deserve to reap the rewards from all your hard work on SVS!>Second, since I respect your opinion on speakers, what made you decide on the Klipsch? Do you really like horn based speakers? What was the deciding factor in selecting the Klipsch and what other speakers did you consider?>Finally, what video display do you use and how do you manage all those gamebox connections? Which gamebox do you like the most, or is it all dependent on the game you want to play at the time?> TV: Oops, one more question. How do you avoid bass cancellation with all those subs in the same room? >>Since you have two old RCA DSS receivers (as I now have as well), maybe you could answer my question that I posted in another thread. How do you handle changing the channel individually on each receiver with the remote? When I want to change the channel on one receiver, it changes on the other receiver as well. Do you know of anything to combat this? (Other than trying to point the remote away from one or the other...)
    Scott

8. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

I too am a big Klipsch fan; I've been in love with them ever since hearing the Klipschorn back in the 70's. I went looking for that same sound when I decided to get into home theater. I started out buying the Reference series center and surround, and was trying to decide on the front mains when I found a pair of used La Scalas for sale a couple hundred miles away. While they don't go quite as deep as the Klipschorn, I always planned on supplementing with a sub anyway, and they have that revealing sound I was looking for. Mine are vintage 1977 and they are a joy to listen to. At 104db sensitivity, it doesn't take much to drive them either; I've seen them demonstrated using a Walkman mini-amp and got decent volume out of them.

The other Klipsch purchases probably weren't correct in retrospect; I didn't realize I was getting La Scalas when I bought the center and surrounds, and I should have gotten a better timbre match with vintage Klipsch all around, or at least gotten bigger speakers there. Even they are in the 92-98db sensitivity range though, and I can still calibrate SPL without having to mute the La Scalas to -10db. It's still very nice though, and I just play guessing games about whether I should upgrade with other vintage Klipsch or get a pair of RF-7's or RF-5's to better match the rest of the system for home theater.

The worst purchase though was the KSW-15 sub. I bought it entirely out of brand loyalty; it was the best sub Klipsch was marketing at the time. I've since learned that subs don't need to be the same brand as the rest of the speakers because they don't have the same tonal requirements. I've decided to upgrade to one of the new SVS plus models. The KSW-15 isn't a bad sub for the money, and has plenty of output, but too boomy and one note for music. Still considering whether to supplement the SVS with the Klipsch since I'll have it around, or do the charity thing and pass it down to relatives like I do other components and computers when I upgrade.

I'd been meaning to start a Klipsch thread, to hear the opinions for and against. There are legions of Klipsch fanatics out there, and some who think they sound like crap. But at least I've been able to stay away from buying a mega amp since Klispch gets a lot of volume out of low power. Still considering a separate amp for the fronts and letting my Yamaha RX-V995 receiver take the center and rear. I haven't noticed any straining though.

Right now I'm hoping the SVS will make the most dramatic improvement I can get.

Norman Short

9. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

How about a pic of Tom & Ron, SVS manufacturing, etc ...?

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

and while we're on the subject, are you guys turning profits? Are you opening up worldwide manufacturing and distribution centers? What about beyond earth?

11. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    Mega amps for planers? Nah, I am running 4 channels of an EAD Powermaster 1000 to my right and left Magnepan 1.6s. Lets see, thats only 750 watts per Maggie into their stable 4 Ohm load[​IMG]

12. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hey Jason: Long time no see! Hear of any going OOB sales anywhere else in the area? Are you still visiting Wayout Wednesday to see what he still has, or has even he run out of bargain items? [​IMG]

13. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Thinking of Guy Kuo's cat litter thread. I was wondering what "tweaks" you guys at SVS use and rec'd. Line Conditioners (which), wiring, Caig Pro Gold, poly-fill [​IMG], and power cords. What else is there... besides that Radio Shack clock thing acting as a notch filter... anyway what do you believe is snake oil and what is not? I mean if you don't believe much in wiring, why would you use Bettercables right?

14. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

TV,

I just have to ask: what do you think of the MC-12? In your opinion, is it worth the extra expense if used primarily in an HT capacity, as compared to the pre/pros that are a notch below the Lex in terms of price/quality? Maybe you haven't compared the Lex to anything lately since you upgraded from an MC-1. I'm trying to get a sense of it's Performance-to-value ratio considering its substantial pricetag (I have no upgrade path myself, unfortunately!).

Thanks!

15. Tom Vodhanel

>>>anyway what do you believe is snake oil and what is not?

16. John Morris

John Morris Guest

17. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Hey Merc,

The last thing I bought at W.O.W. was my Sub2i. I got it just before they went wholesale and at a VERY good price. No more purchases planed for a while except for the Sen.HD600s like you have. I cant pass up the 249.00 delivered price!

I talked to Burke Strickland just before Christmas about hosting a get-togther at my place. I told him I would host if he set it up. Are you interested? Guess I will drop him a line and see about getting the ball rolling.

Jason

18. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Thanks TV. That kind of helps me with my question of whether any other companies have been able to incorporate a 7.1 surround format that even approaches Logic7. Sounds like the answer is no as you're one of many who swear by Logic7.

19. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Scott,

I don't know if HK compromised anything, but they claim all their receivers have Logic 7.

20. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Thanks Adil. I should have mentioned this, but I'm looking at processors as opposed to receivers that may have a 7.1 format (my fault there).