JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does a cylinder sub perform as well as the traditional cube?
The logic of a cylinder is it can have a larger volume cavity with low cost and small footprint. So, ideally it can be tuned lower, cost less and take up less floor space.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The logic of a cylinder is it can have a larger volume cavity with low cost and small footprint. So, ideally it can be tuned lower, cost less and take up less floor space.
The cylinder is $50 more than the other highest price SW in the same class.

Has anyone here owned one?

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Typically, a cube sub of the same internal volume as the cylinder models would cost a lot more.

I’ll move along...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Typically, a cube sub of the same internal volume as the cylinder models would cost a lot more.

I’ll move along...
I hope you didn’t think I was being difficult. I think you’re saying a cube and cylinder of the same volume would be similar in sound but the cylinder will cost less and be as good as the cube.

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have what I think was the introductory model from HSU, and they’re cylinders. Pretty low end at that time. No comparison to models of today. They’re mostly sitting unused. I think I got them about 28 years ago.

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Can’t listen too loud while my wife works from home, but music has been playing consistently since 9 am this morning.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
I had the 20-39PC+ cylinder sub from around 02 until 2019. Great sub, wife hated the "water heater" which sat in a corner between our love seat and couch behind an end table. I was able to not really see it, but she noticed it every day. The sub held up well, hit hard and deep. That sub had a 500-watt amp give or take. I sold it and upgraded to dual sb3000's last fall. It is really hard to compare because these dual subs aren't really a fair comparison to a single cylinder. The SB's don't go as deep, but between having dual subs and so much more power its just not a fair comparison. I could honestly commend a cylinder SVS to anyone and if possible, dual cylinders would be incredible.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metlerdavid