SVS quick setup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Teddlie, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

I just finished installing my upgraded driver in my SVS and was calibrating it. One question I have had but never asked is.. Should I turn the volume knob all the way up on the sub (20-39pc)and let my receiver control the volume? Thanks.

2. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

As a general rule you should set the volume knob on the PC between 1/2 and 3/4. Then set the receivers sub volume control to the lowest negative number that still allows you some movement down (for calibration adjustment). For example, if your receivers sub volume control goes from 0 to -15 you might try the initial setting at -9 and calibrate from there.

As I understand it this configuration will minimize the chance for distortion.

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

No, I have heard more like 50%, I think it would be dangerous to have it all the way up, and calibration would also be difficult.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Set your sub output level on the receiver/preamp to 1/4-1/2 max(if your level goes from -20 to 0, set it at -15 to -10). Then adjust the sub gain on the sub amp up slowly till you get the proper calibration level(should be around 1/2 or less depending on the sub output strength.