What's new

??SVS Questions?? (1 Viewer)

Ron RB

Auditioning
I read that many give their SVS up to a 7dB boost over the rest of their speakers when calibrating. Is this a boost over the original SPL readings or over the corrected SPL's?

Also those with dual SVS, do you have more success with the subs side by side or on opposite ends of your room?

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
side by side in a corner,mine are kitty corner in the rear.I dont know what you mean corrected spls thats another proccess.set up all your speakers I use V.E. to 75db and when you get to the subs set to 80 db thats the way mine are set.I guess you call this reference level when you play dvds.haveing that extra 5 db make sure there not bottoming out.with them in the corner you get a little xtra headroom.try toy story 2 if you dont hear a loud clack your ok,also watch the clip light on the amp if you have one.
gene :)
hey guys how am I doing? am I getting this guy in trouble.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I think the reason that subs are boosted above "correct calibration" is that it's more fun that way, which is the best reason to do anything in one's hobby. If a system is calibrated appreciably below reference level, some of the impact of the LFE can be lost (we're much less sensitive to bass at lower levels), so that helps to get it back.

I use V.E. to 75db and when you get to the subs set to 80 db thats the way mine are set.I guess you call this reference level when you play dvds.haveing that extra 5 db make sure there not bottoming out.
Not sure I get that at all. The max output, and hence "headroom", of the sub would be the same regardless of how the sub is set in relation to the rest of the system.

In fact, the higher the sub is set, the less overall headroom the system will have.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I read that many give their SVS up to a 7dB boost over the rest of their speakers when calibrating. Is this a boost over the original SPL readings or over the corrected SPL's?
1) The 5-7db hot is a pref setting- usually spawned by how humans perceive bass. Most people listen to their DVDs a bit below the level they calibrate their system to. When you reduce the overall volume by a certain degree, our perception of the amount of bass reduces quite a bit more.

So, most poeple calibrate a little hot to keep the bass imact at an "even" perceived level even when the volume is reduced from ref level.

2) The "correction" values are usually used in conjunction with dialing the freq response of the sub. These values are used, traditionally, when supplying freq specific tones to determine the response curve of your room.

The correction value is usually not used in conjunction with setting the overall level using filtered pink tones from a calibration disc like AVIA or VE.

So the proceedure is usually:

1) using an EQ to balance the freq response (using correction values if you attempt to do this with the RS meter).

2) Setting the overall bass levels using a filtered pink noise tone from a calibration disc (and some dial 4-7 hot when doing so).

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks