??SVS Questions??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron RB, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Ron RB

Ron RB Auditioning

I read that many give their SVS up to a 7dB boost over the rest of their speakers when calibrating. Is this a boost over the original SPL readings or over the corrected SPL's?

Also those with dual SVS, do you have more success with the subs side by side or on opposite ends of your room?

2. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

side by side in a corner,mine are kitty corner in the rear.I dont know what you mean corrected spls thats another proccess.set up all your speakers I use V.E. to 75db and when you get to the subs set to 80 db thats the way mine are set.I guess you call this reference level when you play dvds.haveing that extra 5 db make sure there not bottoming out.with them in the corner you get a little xtra headroom.try toy story 2 if you dont hear a loud clack your ok,also watch the clip light on the amp if you have one.
    gene [​IMG]
    hey guys how am I doing? am I getting this guy in trouble.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I think the reason that subs are boosted above "correct calibration" is that it's more fun that way, which is the best reason to do anything in one's hobby. If a system is calibrated appreciably below reference level, some of the impact of the LFE can be lost (we're much less sensitive to bass at lower levels), so that helps to get it back.

4. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

with two subs in the corner more headroom than 1 in the corner??

gene

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer