SVS Questions

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by TomH, Oct 26, 2005.

1. TomH

TomH Second Unit

I currently have an old Velodyne ULD-15 (15" driver) that is beginning to have problems. The ULD-15 was high end at one time and seems to perform well. If I replace it I would like to see a drastic improvement.
    Does anyone have any idea how these old Velodynes perform compared to an SVS PB12-Ultra or Ultra/2 ?

Also, the PB12-Ultra and the PB12-Plus/2 are the same price. Which is the better choice for performance? I realize that the Ultra is a single high quality driver while the Plus/2 is a pair of lower quality drivers.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

Personally, the Velo's never really appealed to me. I actually heard an SVS a little before I had my first velodyne experience. If it's any consolation, I didn't think it lived up to even my first SVS the 20-39PCi.

As for DRASTIC improvements, it's all subjective taste. Most would say it's a good enough difference. Some say it's a slight difference, and then there are few that say there's no discernable difference. But again, it's all subjective.

Comparing the Ultra to the Plus/2 you will get better sound quality with the Ultra, but you will get more output with the Plus/2 Drivers. A little bit more headroom. Not a whole lot, but if you don't think a Single Ultra driver will do it for you, then better go on the safe side with the Plus/2.

I personally like the Ultras. Ultras sound quality is just something else. You can do as I am eventually gonna do... buy one Ultra driver (for me I have a PC-Ultra) and then later down the line if you want, buy another Ultra!

Anyway, hope this helps!

3. John S

John S Producer

On the money side, I'd be inclined to fix the velodyne myself, especially if it has proven itself for many years.

Pretty sure I am going to shoot out a modern low end Velodyne 15"'r (DLS5000R) against an Ultra/2 this Saturday. Stay tuned for the results.

Velodyne may not be as flat, especially down low. But they certainly have raw output going for them.

I really want to get this together for this Sat late afternoon. Busy this weekend, so not easy. We are going to sweep and crank and play around quite abit and measure / doccument the results.

4. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I have recently (actually still have them both) a PB12+2 and a PB12Ultra. The first one I got was the PB12+2 (this was about 1 month before they made the name change, was called the PB2+2) in black. The thing put my dual NHT sealed subs with 800 watts of power into each to shame. There was not even a close compairison. I was immediatly and SVS convert. Actually Tom from SVS took several hours on the phone with me trying to help me get more out of my NHT subs. That was very nice and over and beyond the call of duty but thats the kind of service you get from this place called SVS.

I have all oak in my Family Room/HT room and wanted something to match. When the PB12Ultra came out in oak I got one. It is siting right next to the older PB12+2 and I have at several times switched to hear the difference.

Here is what I hear and remember this is in my room, in the place where I want it (might not be in the best place for it) and so on so your results may vary.

I am mostly into movies. I think the PB12+2 provides just a slightly better tacticle pressence (air movement) but not a lot different. The Ultra is definantly a step up in sound quality and speed. Watching a DVD concert the Ultra was super on the new Eagles concert DVD in DTS.

For now the ultra stays. I have not tried hooking them up both at the same time.. I may do that before I sell the +2 to see what earth shattering is all about.

I would highly recommend either but a lot depends too on what your other speakers do and how low they go as well I think. I have some pretty big and low going speakers up front.

I love SVS and won't ever think of buying a different kind.

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

That's odd. The SVS guys must have changed their tune, b/c I distinctly remember TV getting very upset when people talked about the musicality of his subs. TV doesn't really comment anymore here (search his name) so maybe they have made changes or gotten new measurements.

Your Velodyne is an excellent sub. Maybe you should find someone local to audition the SVS sub before making a blind jump. That's the best way to not have to pay shipping and handling for your product audition.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Anyone who says SVS isn't musical hasn't heard a SVS [​IMG]

7. Loreni

Loreni Extra

I don't wanna change topic but i have a similar question:
    My room is small (9.85x13.1 feet and the ceiling is 9.85feet which is quite high).
    Which sub would be better for me PB12Ultra or Plus?My speakers go pretty deep (45, 50Hz).

I fancy the different bass reproduction of Ultra driver as you said but no Ultras soon in Europe [​IMG](

8. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

John,
    I am sure you were being humorous, but here's a post by TV. Since, TV is one of the main guys at SVS I will go by his opinion.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=212275

He was always about the numbers. Mainly high volume compression was the benefit of the Ultra.

9. TomH

TomH Second Unit

The ULD-15 was expensive and highly rated in its time. It was an audiophile product before Velodyne became a mass market product. Reviews are all excellent. I just have no reference to compare it to SVS.

It has developed a rattle or popping sound at idle. However, if I lay it on its side with the driver firing forward it is fine. Ugly but functional. Considering its age I would not mind upgrading if the SVS would be a major improvement.

Thanks for all the input.

Tom

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi all,

1) I don't see any text which indicates a change of opinion on my behalf.(regarding the way objective data and subjective opinion/preference relate to one another). I have always leaned toward the objective camp.(which includes names like Toole, Nousaine, Mullen, Azcel, ect).

2)>>>Also, the PB12-Ultra and the PB12-Plus/2 are the same price. Which is the better choice for performance?

11. John S

John S Producer

12. John S

John S Producer

I have a question..

Why is the Velodyne measured at 15" and the SVS at 12" in the above reviews?

13. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I will assume that is a difference in driver size.

Those SVS subs sure do demolish the standardized tests when it comes to distortion.

14. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Not all of JJ's sub reviews have standardized mic measurement distances.

We are trying to move toward the concept of a Subwoofer Benchmark, much in the same manner we have done for the DVD Player Benchmark.

Regardless, all of my testing is done in "half space" (outside with the sub and the mic on the ground) with the mic placed at 2 meters from the center of the enclosure.

AV Talk measures similarly, but with the mic 2 meters from the front face. This will result in a very small difference (less than 1 dB) between the test methods.

I'm not sure how the CHT-15R and the DLS5000R will stack up, but TV's reference to the AVTalk results for the CHT-15 is likely a good starting/reference point.

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index....t=0&rid=0&SQ=0

The CHT-15R is very strong down to about 35 Hz and then it starts to trail off. Looking at the distortion numbers, the enclosure tuning frequency (Fb) is probably around 37 Hz, because distortion take a dip at that frequency (where cone excursion is minimized), and then quickly jumps up below Fb (as is the case with any reflex subwoofer).

Regards,

Ed Mullen

15. John S

John S Producer

The bargain velo likes to be driven hard. Extension improves even though I am sure disortion goes up. [​IMG]

I can see this relationship on the meter pretty easily.

16. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Why doesn't SVS just sell a model that has the Ultra drivers in the Plus 2 cabinet with the 900 watt bash amp and charge more money?

17. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Ah, they do... It's the PB2-Ultra. [​IMG]

18. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Your are correct sir![​IMG] I might have to just wait a while and get the ultra 2.