SVS question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Petersen, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I have a 20-39Plus and love it to death, my question is has anyone went from one subwoofer to two subwoofers in the SVS line. HOw much better does 2 sound then one? Im not looking for techical answers like DBs . I just want to know how much better does it sound to the ear?

2. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

I'm curious also...

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

....me too, actually. I have a 20-39 PCi, and as absolutely thrilled as I am with it, I can't help but be curious what adding another one would do to the HT experience. All I know is that SVS is some serious bang for the buck, and wouldn't trade in this sub for anything.

4. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

I have dual 16-46cs+'s and for me it seems to push it over top. I think it just increases your decibles a little. Enough to really kick you in the chest. I had a few other SVS owners over to my house, they had 20-31's I believe and they said that my 16's pressurized the room and "moved their hair" more than theirs did. Pretty poor description but I hope it helps. I couldn't be more satisfied with dual SVsubs.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Adding headroom,

This can give the system an air of *effortlessness* even on the most demanding soruce material. Dynamics---the ability to go from whisper quiet to 120dBs in a heartbeat without compressing the input signal(or compressing it as little as possible)---is a key factor in going from a very good to a great HT experience. There are many other factors of course...but maximizing audio headroom is definitely one of them,

TV

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I recorded 5-6 decibels when adding an identical "subwoofer" to the adjacent corner of my room and this added SPL went all the way down to the deep 20hz frequencies. This doesn't translate to "peak" headroom so I guess it can probably hit transients even louder. (Short/brief notes)
    The sound quality has improved slightly as now both woofers have to move less since they are working together. Is the SQ very noticeable, I'd say no, but there are other reasons for getting a 2nd sub.
    I'll have to mention that the 2nd subwoofer created a much better "bass" stage (how I call it) since the crossover still lets some directional frequencies reach the subs.
    Add a 2nd sub to the same location as the first and you'll maximize SPL due to frequency coupling (combining).
    Adding a 2nd sub in a different location can alter the standing waves in a room with the possiblility to cancel out the odd order width modes. From my meausrements I noticed a significant change in the overall frequency response that resulted in a smoother balance.
    I've taken response measurements when I was testing 1 sub vs 2 subs at my site with graphs, but only click on the link if you're interested cause my "free" bandwidth is getting eaten alive. link

7. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

I added a second 20-39 CS+ a couple months ago.

Tom's description that dual subwoofers give a sense of effortlessness is consistent with my experience. My subwoofers will reach levels of 115+ db without the Samson 1000 clipping, the drivers bottoming or any indication of strain.

I have experimented with different placements, but not as extensively as Chris. Like him I found opposite corners in the front of the room reduced directionality and smoothed the response relative to a single subwoofer or two in the same corner.

Mike