SVS question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMM, Sep 21, 2001.

1. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

I need some advice on whether to get an SVS 20-39. My room is 12 x 12 x 8 (1152 cf). Music 25%, movies 75%. I used an RS meter to measure the volume of what I listen to, and it is usually between 70db to 76db, with some peaks outside that range.
    At that volume level is is worth the expense to upgrade from a Velo CT-120 to an SVS-20-39? I'm just wondering if I'd have to listen at higher volume levels to hear a big difference between the two subs.
    Anybody been in a similar situation?

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'd say it mostly depends on how happy you are with your current sound.
    Is it loud enough? Do you bottom your sub out frequently? Do you like the sound?
    If yes, then it might not be worth the upgrade.
    In a more direct answer to your question, I'd think that you'd be able to hear a difference even at moderate to low volume levels. SVS is just different.
    If the price has got you wondering...with a room as small as yours, a 25-31 may be the ticket for you. You'd lose very little range, but gain a few db of headroom.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'd say it is. The SVS will put out more on the bottom end the Velo will (though it is still an excellent sub). You could probably go with a 16-46 in that room and be fine.

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

5. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar size room and although my listening is mostly HT, I can promise you that a 20-39pc will rattle your teeth and everything else in your home. I upgraded recently from a Yamaha sub to an SVS and could not believe the difference. You really have to hear it ( and FEEL it ) to appreciate the difference (at least in my case).

6. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

Any advice from the SVS guys?

7. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

I ain't one of the SVS guys, but I can tell you from my experience with a 16-46 that, no, you don't have to listen to higher volumes, but you probably will want to! [​IMG]
    IMHO, with your room, a single 16-46 should do fine. So will their other models.
    What sets apart the SVS from most other subs I've listened to is their capacity to go deep and remain clear. I am talking about sheer accuracy here - they're fast, will present the requisite tones, and add nothing to them. The same reason I have NHTs for speakers. And the 16-46CS I have blends in so well it is amazing. I am pretty sure the other models would, also, but I haven't listened to other SVS subs.
    Mike