What's new

SVS question(s) (1 Viewer)

Steve_D

Second Unit
Yes, I know I could email customer support, but this forum may as well be customer support at times :) I currently have a 16-46 (original non ISD) that I'm considering upgrading.

Why would the passive CS series have this freq response curve:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_cs_performance.htm

and the "same but powered" PCi 20-39 have this freq response curve?

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_2039pci_response.htm

It was my impression these are the same except one is powered and the other not?

OK, on to the next question.

For someone only interested in the region 20-40 Hz, using as a true subwoofer with Paradigm Studio 100's crossed at 40 maybe 50 HZ, is the PC plus more qualitatively musical than the CS(ISD), or the PCi, or mostly just capable of higher SPL's? In other words, talk me in to or out of "just" upgrading my current 16-46 with the ISD driver.

TIA

MikeGee

Second Unit
(kinda off topic) but how do you get a SPL graph like that if you were to test out your whole system to see how level it is.

PB12/+2 :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Who cares about graphs anyway its how things sound in your room that counts. A bit of calibration with a meter and the rest by ear and you've got it.... Some folks put way too much into a graph or what they read. Its your ears!

Steve_D

Second Unit
MikeGee,

Either use an SPL meter and test tones or an RTA.

The Tube style fits perfectly in the area I have for it, where as the box may not....not to mention, quite honestly, $1300 seems like alot for 20-40Hz. :D Although after reading about it, I did get out the old tape measure...

VinhT

Second Unit

You can use your ears and blindly assume your home theater is okay, or actually measure its performance, take care of any issues, and verify that it is indeed awesome.

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the previous poster. Ears will fool you, there are so many variables to account for that your ears just cant be depended on. Get a test cd/dvd, a spl meter and some graph paper and do it right.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Steve_D

Your original question about the discrepancy in the 2 FR curves is still a valid question. It would be helpful if Tom or Ron would please respond.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
It is probably because the amp in the 20-39PCi is custom tailored, and the amp that was powering the CS was not.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Steve,

Sorry I missed this one the first round. Those CS charts are quite old truth be told. We have to budget our time very closely on what we update with out latest instrumentation and woofer design and the CS have just fallen a bit behind on updates.

The 20-39PCi was indeed done with the latest hardware (woofer, amp, enclosure) and dead on correct charted with an instrumentation suite that's about as good as can be got today.

There are a number of filtering and equalization tweaks we use to attain that crazy flat quasi-ancehoic response of the PCi, but none of our subs really use much EQ so you could expect a well optimized 20-39CS to look very close to its PCi brother as pictured. Add in a subsonic filter like we sell and you'll see that nice 12dB/octave rolloff even.

At some point we'll circle back to some of the older charts like that one for the CS stuff but R/D has had some pretty big projects to tackle so I can't say when it'll be.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks