1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS question for Tom, Ron, and all the other bass gurus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryW, Sep 5, 2001.

1. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

My HT room is 16.5'(L)x13'(W)x8.5'(H) (give or take a few inches). The space is basically enclosed w/ a 4' wide opening into my dining room and a 3' wide opening into a hallway. Which SVS am I going to need to get satisfying bass in this room? By satisfying I mean 105+ dBs at 20-25Hz? I was thinking that the room is so small I'd probably get really nice results from a 25-31CS (w/ an old 100wpc Sony stereo receiver that I've been saving for just such an occassion [​IMG]). As of now I've been using a Sony SA-WM40 and it's done a pretty good job... it just doesn't go below 25Hz and I'm really wanting to move to something more accurate.
    BTW, I do know that the room has a small spike at 55-60Hz... but it's not really bad enough for me to notice most of the time.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'm certainly no bass guru but I know what I like and what sound good!
    In your size room, I'd guess a 20-39 would be fine and give you the satisfaction you so desire. The 25-31 would have a tad more punch but the 20-39 would go deeper. I imagine even a 16-46 may suffice.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

With about 2000 cu-ft and a concern for most extension...I'd agree with Bryan...look toward the 20-39cs.
    A single 20-39cs should be able to reach 105dB/25hz in your room easily with an honest 100-125w.(assuming it's corner loaded and you're sitting within say 6-8 feet of it.) Add a second 20-39 down the road...and you be reference capable I think(even with the old sony receiver as an amp).
    TV

4. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

I only have to add that JerryW please remember me when you're disposing off your SONY.. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

5. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Sounds great, thanks guys.
    BTW, Tom, would a single SVS Ultra give me reference SPL levels in that room?
    John, I probably won't be "disposing" of my Sony when I get the SVS but I will be selling it. [​IMG] I'll keep you in mind though.
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy
    [Edited last by JerryW on September 06, 2001 at 07:57 AM]

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>BTW, Tom, would a single SVS Ultra give me reference SPL levels in that room?