SVS question for Tom, Ron, and all the other bass gurus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryW, Sep 5, 2001.

1. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

My HT room is 16.5'(L)x13'(W)x8.5'(H) (give or take a few inches). The space is basically enclosed w/ a 4' wide opening into my dining room and a 3' wide opening into a hallway. Which SVS am I going to need to get satisfying bass in this room? By satisfying I mean 105+ dBs at 20-25Hz? I was thinking that the room is so small I'd probably get really nice results from a 25-31CS (w/ an old 100wpc Sony stereo receiver that I've been saving for just such an occassion [​IMG]). As of now I've been using a Sony SA-WM40 and it's done a pretty good job... it just doesn't go below 25Hz and I'm really wanting to move to something more accurate.
    BTW, I do know that the room has a small spike at 55-60Hz... but it's not really bad enough for me to notice most of the time.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'm certainly no bass guru but I know what I like and what sound good!
    In your size room, I'd guess a 20-39 would be fine and give you the satisfaction you so desire. The 25-31 would have a tad more punch but the 20-39 would go deeper. I imagine even a 16-46 may suffice.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

With about 2000 cu-ft and a concern for most extension...I'd agree with Bryan...look toward the 20-39cs.
    A single 20-39cs should be able to reach 105dB/25hz in your room easily with an honest 100-125w.(assuming it's corner loaded and you're sitting within say 6-8 feet of it.) Add a second 20-39 down the road...and you be reference capable I think(even with the old sony receiver as an amp).
    TV

4. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

I only have to add that JerryW please remember me when you're disposing off your SONY.. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

5. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Sounds great, thanks guys.
    BTW, Tom, would a single SVS Ultra give me reference SPL levels in that room?
    John, I probably won't be "disposing" of my Sony when I get the SVS but I will be selling it. [​IMG] I'll keep you in mind though.
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy
    [Edited last by JerryW on September 06, 2001 at 07:57 AM]

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>BTW, Tom, would a single SVS Ultra give me reference SPL levels in that room?