What's new

SVS problems (1 Viewer)

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I just received a 25-31CS. When I hooked it up to my Carver AV-505 5 channel amp the sound output is very low. Even with the gain knob on the amp maxed out and the receivers sub volume at +10 (maximum). I'm currently using a Sony receiver as a pre/pro. I have 3 other 8 ohm speakers hooked to the other inputs on the amp if that matters. Would a 8 ohm 4 ohm mix (SVS) matter? I'm kind of reaching at this point. I've tried hooking it up to the receivers amp (with the selector switched to 4 ohm) with the same low output. It also has two 8 ohm speakers (rear surrounds) hooked to it. So far these are the things I've tried.

-Different subwoofer interconnect
-Different amp channel on external amp
-Different speaker wire
-Tried each subwoofer preamp out(havent tried y-connecting both)
-Checked the internals of the sub for damage or disconnected wires.
-Have all speakers set to small with subwoofer=yes
-Hooked straight to receivers amp with front speakers set to large with subwoofer=no

I've probably forgotten a few things I've checked but any suggestions are appreciated.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
There is a whole lot of expertise on the boards of this forum, but if I were you I'd email Tom and/or Ron at SVS directly. I'm sure they'll have your situation resolved very quickly. I bent their collective ear ad nauseum when I purchased my SVS, and I am a very satisfied customer.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
is it in a corner? i doubt location is the problem but you seem to have tried everything else. do you have another subwoofer you can hook up and test?

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Alan, yes I've been communicating with Tom who by the way has been very fast with the emails and helpful. Although ultimately he suggested replacing the driver. I was hoping someone ran across something similar maybe or had some other suggestions we didnt think of. Because like you said there is alot of expertise on this forum. I just find it odd that the driver is faulty if there is still normal sound coming from it. Just at low volume with everything turned up.

keir, yes its in a corner but by the volume of it, its not a placement type issue. Its audible but not very loud and I can feel the driver moving. My existing powered sub is at half volume on the sub amp and works fine from the subwoofer preamp out.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
It sounds like you haven't tried this:

Hook all speakers up to the Sony receiver, all set to small. Run from 1 sub pre-out to one channel of the Carver. Hook the sub up to that channel. Make sure there's nothing else hooked up to the Carver.

And you should also try another amp if you can borrow one.

If you're getting output, just at a really low level, I don't think it's a driver issue.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Would try using a Y adapter and see if that helps. Idiot items I'm sure but they need to be asked:

1. Are you running from the sub out on the receiver to the amp?

2. What guage cable are you running from the amp to the sub?

3. Have you double checked the wiring to make sure nothing is loose or reversed?

4. Have you calibrated the sub using Avia or Video Essentials?

5. Have you tried playing around with the location of the sub?

6. How big is the room that the sub is in?

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the responses so far.

Richard, I will try your suggestion after I try using a y-adapter from both the sub outs. Your right. I havent tried that. I was thinking that maybe it wasnt the driver since I do get sound out of it. Just really low.

Byran,
1. Are you running from the sub out on the receiver to the amp? Yes

2. What guage cable are you running from the amp to the sub? 16 gauge and 12 gauge

3. Have you double checked the wiring to make sure nothing is loose or reversed? On everything including the sub internals.

4. Have you calibrated the sub using Avia or Video Essentials? It wont even go loud enough to calibrate. Not even close

5. Have you tried playing around with the location of the sub? In the corner, out in the open and off to the side. Not for experimenting locations. Just to hook it up.

6. How big is the room that the sub is in? Medium sized living room. Not sure of the dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks