What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So, let’s say, you’re a fan of high quality audio, and have been frustrated with your options of getting the most out of any of the billion different walled gardens of sound out there: Apple Music, Amazon Prime, Google etc. Or maybe you’ve got your own collection of music stored on one of those systems or just simply on your phone. All of those vendors have mass market speaker systems for getting your sound to something with a little more heft behind it, from things like HomePods and Google Home Max all the way up to integration with your existing 5.1 systems by building apps into the receiver.
What they haven’t really done a good job so far is getting top quality, really pumped up systems with serious bass, in a simple package. Maybe all you wanna do is plop down on a...

Continue reading...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hey all, just a note that I'm working with Dave Upton to add some real world data gathering via UMIK and Room Equalization Wizard to this review. I'm a total noob with that and this is not a dedicated music listening space, so more to follow on that!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I totally don't understand these products, or who the notional buyer is.

My view of the world:
  • Normal person buys wireless speaker to put discretely in corner of house, on a side table, or on kitchen island. They use it to play music in the background for personal use, and also for parties.
  • Music-tech enthusiast buys multi-speaker set of Sonos or HomePod or whatever and has speakers sprinkled around the house. No way they're close enough to be wired. They play from smartphone and/or AVR.
  • Audiophile stereo enthusiast has a high-quality 2.x (preferably with full range tower speakers) connected to an AVR. They don't need "wireless" speakers because they have a dedicated listening space, with their 2.x speakers placed and positioned just so with their high-quality amps and pre-pro wired in between them.

So what the heck is going on with this SVS entry into wireless speakers?!?
  • "Wireless" stereo speakers that have to be connected together with a wire? Doesn't the whole "having to be wired together" literally defeat the point of being wireless?
  • What is the sound base? It's a "wireless" amplifier that has to be wired to speakers? At $499? Huh? Why not save $20 and buy the Denon AVR-S740H? It's "wireless" in the same way, in that it also has to be plugged into the wall and wired to speakers, and has all the wireless formats and can run off all the wireless streaming sources*. Bonus: an AVR isn’t stuck with stereo: it’s just as “wireless” for surround sound including Atmos, and supports numerous inputs from all your devices!
  • What is wireless about the SB-3000? There's nothing in SVS's product page or product video about its wireless capability. You describe it as being wired to the soundbase or wired to the "wireless" speakers. Again...Huh?!?
"Stream music from Spotify®, Pandora®, Tidal and unparalleled music playback options, thanks to our built-in HEOS technology, Apple AirPlay 2, and Amazon Alexa voice compatibility for seamless control."

These products make no sense to me at all.

What am I missing?

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I totally don't understand these products, or who the notional buyer is.
  • "Wireless" stereo speakers that have to be connected together with a wire? Doesn't the whole "having to be wired together" literally defeat the point of being wireless?

Yes, they come together as an Active / Wireless pair, wired together. Or you can buy two Active speakers and set them up wirelessly

What is wireless about the SB-3000? There's nothing in SVS's product page or product video about its wireless capability. You describe it as being wired to the soundbase or wired to the "wireless" speakers. Again...Huh?!?

You need an RCA cable to the Wireless Speaker or SoundBase for sub output. The device can be MANAGED wirelessly.

What am I missing?

Again my belief is there is a need for higher than HomePod quality 2.1 systems that don't need the full AVR setup. You disagree, that's cool.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, they come together as an Active / Wireless pair, wired together. Or you can buy two Active speakers and set them up wirelessly

You need an RCA cable to the Wireless Speaker or SoundBase for sub output. The device can be MANAGED wirelessly.

Again my belief is there is a need for higher than HomePod quality 2.1 systems that don't need the full AVR setup. You disagree, that's cool.

I guess this review would have made sense to me if they'd sent their actual wireless setup, rather than this weirdo wired-ish system. It's doubly confounding because the SVS is a classical 2.x system. Two stereo speakers that need to be positioned and spaced and toed in to create a stereo sweet spot, for a listener to sit still and let an album wash over them. The HomePod and Echo and such are whole-room speakers and designed for arbitrary placement; also, they have digital women living inside who answer questions and do helpful things.

I'm drawing a blank on who the customer is for a $1500 wired-less 2.1 system that only plays streaming audio. :huh:

I also don't understand the difference between the sound base and a "full AVR setup". Both require a central box to be wired to speakers and connected to input sources. One is less expensive and can do everything. The other is an SVS "wireless" device.

Good luck to SVS. I'm a big fan and ten year owner of the awesome MTS system with a canonical cylinder sub. But their foray into wireless looks just wrongheaded.

Real Name
Jason Carney
I'm also confused as to how these products are wireless. I can take a $20 Echo dot and plug it into any powered monitors and have the same thing. Actually I can take any bluetooth enabled speakers (not just monitors) like a sound bar or JBL and have the same set up.

I was so hopeful that this was going to be an actual wireless speaker and not just internet connectivity. Soon maybe...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think you are misunderstanding. The Prime Wireless speakers ARE wireless speakers. The Prime Soundbase is an amplifier that allows you to turn any speakers wireless.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just got the SB-3000 and I’m looking forward to seeing what it can do. It’s replacing an Atlantic Technology 642e that’s on the fritz. I’m using it in a 5.1 configuration, however.

I bought the sub during the SVS Labor Day promotion. It arrived while I’m out of town at a film festival so I haven’t been able to enjoy setting it up yet. I may see what it will take to get the 642e working again and do something with it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, I recently upgraded the sub in my living room to an SB-2000 from a BIC F-12. At first I just put it in the same location as the BIC, but ended up fine tuning the location and now I'm quite happy with it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
1614714060197.jpeg

!!!!

Westly T

Second Unit
My father in law has a couple of the prime wireless speakers, he uses them in his huge garage. They do sound amazing for what they are, and since the are just sitting on a shelf, the wire between them is not an issue. He streams from his phone using Play Fi, and is very happy with setup.

I got a deal on the Martin Logan Forte, have a pair of Emotiva B1+ connected and an SVS 3000 micro connected. This simple system is setup behind my work desk and sounds quite good, I enjoy music while I work all day. This device also has ARC room correction that made it easy to correct for the space.

For more serious listening I have a dedicated system and room as well as a home theater setup, but these small systems do have a place for some of us. I do think it’s stupid the SVS speakers are wired together, it limits where you can use them for sure. My wife had a need at work and had to find a true wireless speaker system, but it cost more and doesn’t sound as good.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anyone know how to turn off the control lights on the SB-3000? I’m about to break out the black electrical tape!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyone know how to turn off the control lights on the SB-3000? I’m about to break out the black electrical tape!
Are they on the back? I don’t think they can be turned off. You can actually see them?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are they on the back? I don’t think they can be turned off. You can actually see them?
They're on the back. But they're alongside the front seats of my two row room and so the backs face the back seats. And that's our normal TV viewing location. It's an unusual scenario. But I'm used to home theater devices enabling all their lights to be turned off.

Electrical Tape does the trick. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks