SVS powered by Samson F800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Judy Y, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

I found a local dealer with what seems to be a good price on a Samson F800 amp. I have an SVS 20-39. Anyone have any opinions on whether or not this would be a good fit?

The amp is rated for PA applications.

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

The specs look promising. I would check out fan noise though. The S series has very quiet fans. Not sure about the F series.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Judy,

the F800 should work fine for the SV application. However, it takes up a little more space..and may have some fan noise issues.

How large is your room?

TV

4. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses! My room is about 19 by 12. I am not concerned about the amp being bigger. I checked out the measurements and it will fit in an open-backed component stand I have in the back of the room.

I will have to check out the fan noise when I go to look at the amp. I have read a great deal about amps, sat recievers and such having very objectionable fan noise and I have never heard any on ANYTHING. For me, I am guessing it would have to get pretty darn loud to hear it. Also, this is in the basement and the room is the coolest in the house, and consistently so. I rarely play my system for longer than the length of a single movie, so, I wonder, will the unit get that hot so that the fan will turn on? Or are the fans always on?

Thanks again!