What's new

svs positioning (1 Viewer)

Ben Yang

Grip
Am interested in the svs sub 20-31. Can this be positioned sideways? The WAF will not accept a black "trash can" in the living room and there is space behind the couch if I lay the beast on it's side. Is this an acceptable way to place the sub or will it affect the sound?
BTW, is the driver in the svs the same as the shiva, minus the dvc?
THanks

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Ben,
There is no problem laying an SVS on its side. But I bet you $5 that if your wife sees it in the flesh she'll be more understanding of your desire to show it off. The pictures don't do it justice (professional photos coming soon!). That's a serious bet BTW. If I'm wrong we'll credit your bill!
Also, there is no relationship whatsoever between the Shiva and our proprietary driver. The latter is custom made for us by hand in a small shop in California. We had the Shiva and many other excellent drivers on hand for comparision against our prototypes. For our enclosure design nothing beat the cost performance ratio of the SVS driver. The fact we add many nice features and still keep the price down is just icing on the cake (nice cast aluminum basket, competition style gold plated terminals etc). You can see pics of the drive here (poor pics though they might be).
Link Removed
These pics are a bit old too, there have been several improvements to the entire assembly in an effort to squeeze out ever ounce of performance, durability and value. The basics of this driver are unchanged though, and we ALWAYS are adding content as ordered qunatities go up and up (as opposed to getting by with nominal parts in an effort to increase margins). A crazy concept it seems, but so far it's serving us well.
That's all more than you wanted no doubt. You can build a hell of a DIY sub with a Shiva (Tom and I have both done it) but there is only one way to get an SVS driver...and that's attached to one of our subs.
Ron

Ben Yang

Grip
Ron,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately, you don't know my wife! Her motto "stereos should be heard, not seen" goes very deep.
Is the wait still weeks for an order or are we now into months?
thanks
Ben

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
And you married her anyway?
Well OK, good luck ;^)
The wait on SVS depends on what you order. CS subs are running 2-3 weeks. PC models more like 8 - 10 weeks (so yeah I guess you could count that in months ;^0
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks