What's new

SVS placement help needed (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I have a room that is 20x18. The hometheater is on one of the long sides. The current placement for the svs 20-39 is in the corner to the right of the tv. This wall goes for about 8 feet and then opens up to the dining room. The other alternative would be to put the svs on the left in the corner by the window. There is no opening by sub then but it is farther from the seating area. There is a opeing across the room from it. What do you guys think before I start moving this thing around? Thanks!

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
The only way to tell is by trying it, Brian. I found I picked up about 6dB by changing from one corner to another. YMMV.

Harold Leroy

Stunt Coordinator
I read in an earlier thread that the sub should be in the corner with the longest uninterupted walls. But also you lose dbs with distance. Rick is right, move and measure.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
How do you measure? With the radio shack spl meter? I have one but what would be the best way to do it?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Brian,

Get Video Essentials or Avia and calibrate your system's channels. Then on the subwoofer portion. Keep the DVD remote handy and keep going back and forth on the tones (this can be a royal pain on VE with the way the chapter stops are done, Pioneer players allow you to back up, many do not!)

Run the tones and measure FROM YOUR SEAT. Move the sub, and leaving all settings on your system alone, measure again. And again, and again. As many times as you have options to place the sub. As noted you can get a RADICAL change in SPL response by moving a sub a few feet. As long as you measure from your normal seating position you will find the best spot in just a few minutes doing this.

The highest response on the calibration tones is typically going to be your best bet, but you might find a spot that measures lower actually sounds better due to room response issues at various frequencies. This is why it's important to validate your best positions with actual program material loops. I like the first 5 min. of Toy Story 2 for checkout.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks