What's new

SVS PCPlus vs. PCUltra (1 Viewer)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Can anybody tell me the difference (besides price) of these two model lines? There isn't much info on the SVS sight re: the ultra, except both appear to have the same power amp?

Rogelio D

Agent
The PCPlus comes in three sizes and uses the TC Sounds 12" driver.

The PCUltra comes in one size (39" tall) and uses SVS's higher-end TV-12 high-output 12" driver. The Ultra also has a built in single band parametric EQ.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Think of the PC-Ultra as a 20-39 PC-Plus with the following upgrades:

1) A heavier duty rated amp (with the same power rating, though).

2) A built-in single band parametric EQ (perfect for knocking out a room-induced response peak).

3) The TC-Sounds TV-12 driver (the Plus uses the TC-Sounds dB-12 driver).

The TV-12 driver has about a 1.5 dB maximum output advantage over the dB-12 driver. It has an underhung 10-layer 3" VC design with a higher thermal power handling capability and a more linear BL (motor strength) curve, and a deeper basket and magnet structure with a higher linear excursion capability.

At $1,100 (introductory price) and only a $275 premium over the 20-39 PC-Plus, the PC-Ultra is a screamin' deal, especially considering the passive CS-Ultra costs $900.

Regards,

Ed

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
To get a visual representation of the potential performance advantage that the TV-12 brings to the table, take a look at the links below of the passive Ultra's simulated response graphs and then compare to the simulated response of the other Plus models.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/manuals/Ultraportplug.pdf

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/manuals/PCPlusportblock.pdf

You'll notice that the stock tuned Ultra graph is extremely flat and even has a slight up-tick to ~28 hz. The dB-12 based models have a slight drop in their respective stock tune. The Ultra is not only flatter but achieves a lower F3 (18hz) in the process.

While these graphs are only simulations of each sub packages' specifications, it does illustrate the TV-12's potential to be more accurate with music and more explosive with movies without having to boost the subwoofer level. This can save valuable amp power when knocking out 28 hz and below LFE effects.

I've owned the passive Ultra model for over a year and have been extremely pleased with it's performance.

Jason Brent

Second Unit
Edward,

Do you know what all is different about the amp, besides the PEQ?

I asked Eric if I could get that amp on a PC+, he said that there is a possibility at some time for that, with the trickle down nature of new technology, but they couldn't do that right now.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I would ask Tom V directly about that. I would only be speculating on the differences in duty rating.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks