What's new

SVS PCi driver upgrade worth it? (1 Viewer)

Shaun

Second Unit
I currently own an SVS 20-39pc subwoofer, which I bought only 3 months before they started shipping the new PCi subs. I was just wondering if it was worth paying the $129 fee for the upgraded driver? Would there be a noticeable improvement? Is installation difficult?

Thanks

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 16-46CS which I believe has the same driver. I think it was worth it. I would bottom out when watching PM during the pod race (loud). I noted my levels and after the upgrade I was able to go through the scenes at 2db louder without any bottoming out (loud +2). I have yet to bottom the SVS since the upgrade. I don't listen at these levels as a rule, but the piece of mind alone is worth it. You can get a $40 rebate on your old driver (if that is still going on) so with shipping, it should be a little over $100, maybe $110. I kept mine in case of emergency :).
Changing the driver was really easy, I stood it upside down and worked on it standing up. Removing the little rubber pads used as feet reveals the screws that hold the bottom plate on. The driver came with new pads. I took off the bottom plate, and then removed the screws that hold the driver in place and removed the driver, noting where the speaker connectors were. The connectors are spade type, and easily came off. Note + and -. I then attached the connectors to the new driver and placed it in the cabinet with the connector at the same place. Check the gasket (new driver comes with this also, are these guys great or what) to make sure it isn't pinched and in the groove OK. Screw down the new driver. I always like to get all the screws in place then snug them up, then tighten. Next I hooked it up and tested it, everything OK. Put the bottom plate on and stuck the feet on. Put the sub back home and recalibrated. You will need to recalibrate again after it breaks in.
IMHO I think it was worth it, but if you are not having any problems and are happy, you might just want to stick with the original driver.

Shaun

Second Unit
Thank you very much for the help and directions. I appreciate it very much.:)
Shawn

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I did the upgrade on my 20-39CS a couple of months ago, and it went like a snap. In and out in no time and as Paul has experienced, I haven't bottomed out on Phantom Menace since. I always heard the hit at the THX intro to that disc, and it went through just fine after the upgrade.
As Paul pointed out, you don't need to fix something that isn't broken, but I'm glad I did the upgrade even though I was extremely satisfied with the SVS the way it was.

Shaun

Second Unit
Now, what about the new 320 watt PCi amp that sells for $250? Is it recommended to get the new amp with the new driver? Is the new amp required to get better bass, or will the older 190 watt amp that's currently in my 20-39pc with the new driver improve the bass output enough to not bother with the new amp?

Thanks again.

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I don't believe the new amp will fit in the non-i versions of the PC. Looking at the pix, they are very different shapes.
Link Removed
Doug

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I just this moment completed the driver exchange on my 6-month-old 16PC46. It had never bottomed out on me, but it sounded strained on occasion, such as when playing The Haunting at higher than moderate (but nowhere near reference) levels. So I took the plunge, motivated by the rebate (which I believe has now expired).
It wasn't nearly as easy to exchange as some have implied, though. It took me 35 minutes, but a chunk of that was dealing with the fact that the rubber gasket covered up the screw heads and I was trying to determine whether pulling it up was going to cause damage (apparently not). But if I, Mr. Ineptitude, can accomplish it, surely anyone can. Just don't expect it to take 5 or 10 minutes and work methodically. A long-bladed sharp knife is a must to get off the little feet.
Figuring to start with the acid test, I stuck in Toy Story 2, turned it up to reference and hoped for the best. I was not disappointed. Even standing behind a chair, the bass rattled my pant legs. I created terror in my fish tank. When I sat down, my dog jumped into my lap in fear. The sound was butter-smooth and unstrained, all the way down to the bottom, pound after pound after pound. Big smiles all around. (well, except for the poor dog and the fish)
Definitely worth it, even without the rebate. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

mirle girish

Auditioning
Hello,

Can any one suggest about which speakers to by for the new home we are building. i have bought onkyo thx797 reciever and i am planing to buy sharp xy 9000 u projector my budjet is around 1500-2000 for speakers any suggestion will be appreciated

thanks

m girish

Nico

Stunt Coordinator
mirle,

You might want to create a new thread for this. On your budget, you have plenty of "bang for the buck" choices.

Nico

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Shaun,

the new amp is definitely not swap-able. We have had quite a few PC owners upgrade and to tell the truth...I don't think I have heard one response that wasn't quite positive regarding this. The older drivers were pretty good(good enough for our first subs to rank with the best of the best in Nousaine's review)...but these(new drivers) are definitely a step up in several important regards.

TV

Users who are viewing this thread