1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS PCi Arrived, setup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Ma, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

My dog woke me up from an afternoon nap today and I new why, the brown truck was out front. [​IMG] The moment was here.
    Unpacked my 25-31PCi and calibrated it with the sound meter. I have two questions:
    Gain control. The manual states to turn the gain around 1/2 way and use your receiver to level to adjust from there. Well, it's too loud. If I put the gain just over 1/4, I still need to reduce from my amp sub's channel to -7db.
    So, is it better to be under 1/4th on the gain and have my receiver closer to 0 or have the gain around 1/2 and the receiver -15 on the sub channel? I always wondered this even with my Paradigm sub.
    Phase switch, 0 or 180? I have it swtiched to 0. Can someone explain what situation is for 0 and which is for 180?
    Thanks, oh and I put in Toy Story 2 / TPM Pod race and it sounds great. I will do a review / comparision to my old sub once I get it calibrated and tested more. For now, I would say - nice clean, natural bass. Not boomy like my old sub. More of an energy feel to it when it kicks.
    Bob

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Robert,

You want to leave you some downward adjustment in your receiver's subwoofer level control. Don't put it lower than -7dB if your receiver caps the lowest level at -15dB. Just put your PCi amp gain wherever you need to to get the calibration level you are shooting for (are you using a sound meter? ). If so you might want to experient with a "flat" setting where all your speakers are set to 75dB using something like Avia or Video Essentials to provide a calibration signal. Then creep up the level of the sub until it has the impact you want for the movies and levels you like to use.

As for phase (and more on level control for that matter) please consult your manual. The bottom line is that you are unlikely to hear any difference, especially if you are running all your other speakers as small. You MIGHT hear SOME difference if you have LARGE mains and are running them as large. The only way to know which setting is best is to loop something like the Godzilla DVD menu and measure peaks with a SPL meter. Phase is much more a factor when you are running multiple subs and they are not co-located. Phase (think cancellation of bass waves) will rarely be audible with one sub in a typical HT.

Take a few minutes to look at your manual and see if anything there helps explain some more. We kept it short and to the point, or tried to.

Ron

3. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Thanks Ron,

I really wasn't too concerned over the Phase too much since I ran my old one at 0 also.

I do use a sound meter and Video Essentials. My question is along the lines is it better to have the Subs amp running hotter or the preamps output running hotter.

My Left, Right, and Rears run -3 from my Receivers channel adjustments when adjusted with Video Essentials. I think I am going to set my sub channel to -3 also and adjust the gain control until it also matches the 75db in Video Essentials.

Ah, here is a future option for SVS subs, a remote controled gain control / cross over control. hehe. Nah, not worth the cash it would raise the price.

Bob

4. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

Hello Ron,
    Quick question, I ordered a cs+ but I don't expect it till late next week and to tide me over I went to your site to get the manual and...doh its not there yet. Any hope of the manual getting on the site soon? I know, I know you have lots to do but...please.[​IMG]
    Matt

5. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I set my receiver's sub channel to -4 (like the rest of my mains) and balanced the subs output with the gain control using a sound meter and Video Essentials.

Slight review:

I put it to the test:

Toy Story 2 intro

The Phantom Menance various scenes

T2

Matrix

Godzilla

I love this sub. Very natural, clean bass. The best way I can find to explain it on some heavy bass tracks (like Toy Story 2 intro) is energy. It feels like massive power! Other tracks like that are the custom THX intros for T2 and TPM. Bass you can feel. Very tight. Commericial theater sounding quality.

This is not a muddy sounding sub at all. Some tracks will take some getting used to for me. I was so used to my PS-1000 on Godzilla that I was expecting some huge low bass tracks when the lizard is running. Or when he jumps onto the road from the water in the beginning. Well, the boomyness of the PS-1000 actually fit the track better to me from what I heard with the 25-31PCi. I was expecting more of a sound like some of the Bass in the Toy Story 2 wall seen but it wasn't there. Again, I know the PS-1000 was booming it up though. I'm sure the sound I was hearing from the 25-31PCi is more what the sound technician intended for me to hear.

Thanks SVS for one incredible product that is priced as a bargain.

Another satisfied customer,

Bob

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Bob,
    Thanks for the quick review...I think the PCi subs are going to be somewhat of a hit.
    Try living with the PCi for a few weeks,and then put the ps1000 back in the system for a few demos [​IMG]
    TV

7. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Ah man, no way will I ever go back. This morning I did some more calibrating. Watched T2 canal scene and Toy Story 2 again. Its amazing, my friend was shocked.
    Also, the ps1000 is on ebay right now. Up to $225. To think its going to pull in 1/2 the cost of the SVS makes me smile from ear to ear.[​IMG]
    Here's a quick question Tom. My volume on the sub is a notch below half and my Receivers sub channel is -10 for 75db calibration with video essentials. (cap is -15) I have a small room. Would you say that pushing reference will be no problem for me and not worry about cutting the sub down an extra db or two when I demo loud?
    Bob

8. aaron_dewitt

aaron_dewitt Agent

I sold my PS1000 before i ordered my SVS 20-39pci. I got 400 dollars for it. And then added on 50 dollars for shipping and handling. NOt bad at all considering i paid 490 for it 1.5 years ago.

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>Here's a quick question Tom. My volume on the sub is a notch below half and my Receivers sub channel is -10 for 75db calibration with video essentials. (cap is -15) I have a small room. Would you say that pushing reference will be no problem for me and not worry about cutting the sub down an extra db or two when I demo loud?