What's new

SVS PC Ulta tube or PB12-ISD/2?? (1 Viewer)

Joe Ferrari

Agent
I have a pair of Rocket 750's and need a new sub. I have narrowed it down to these 2 subs. The Ultra uses a kick @ss woofer, has a smaller footprint but is a few hundred more than the PB12-ISD/2. The PB12 is HUGE but also sports 2 woofers. Here is a pic of my space. Any advice??? No real corners to load the sub into :frowning:

Eric C D

Second Unit
If you're down to those two subs, ask Tom and Ron at SVS. They'll give you straight advice; they won't just try to sell you the more expensive option.

enjoy,

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Eric has a good suggestion.

Although if it were my decision to make. I would go with the Ultra if my listening habits leaned to HT/movies and the PB12-ISD/2 if I leaned towards music.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Of course Ultra. Much better driver=much better sound quality, both HT and music. You can check Jon Liu's comparison between ISD series sub and Ultra here.

Joe Ferrari

Agent
Thanks for the thoughts. I went with the Ultra for a few reasons.

1. The box is gigantic. Since I have limited placement options (see room pic above) I was afraid that I may not be able to make it work optimally.
2. The tube is almost the same height as my 750's so I think it will look good beside them.
3. The resale with the TW12 driver should be really good. Once the UFW12(Rocket) comes out I should be able to unload it on Audigon for a fraction less than what I paid.
4. No worries about port noise since the box would be so close to a wall.
5. More accurate bass.

One thing I was curious about. High SPL's mean you need high SPL's with speakers and since my Rockets are only powered by a 150wpc Adcom amp would the woofer not walk all over the mains??

Joe

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I went with an Ultra and it "could" walk all over your mains if you wanted it to Joe. Once the thing is calibrated you won't even know it's there....until WHAM:D It's a really nice sub and will blend with your Rockets seemlessly. The Ultra driver is fast and clean....you're gonna love it.

Mort

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
When I transitioned from 3 25-31CS+'s to the PC-Ultra, I was quite impressed with what the PC-Ultra brought to the table. What it presented in the lower FW was far beyond what the 3 25-31CS+'s offered. This was to be expected though.> TV-12, Lower tune and EQ. The PB12-Ultra/2 has been a true performer also. I am definitely a Ultra fan as you might surmise but after owning the PB10-ISD I don't under estimate the ISD capability in the ISD/2 config.

(The PB12-ISD/2 is a totally different animal than the compared 20-39PCi in the mentioned review.)

Can't and don't say I disagree with most of your assessment Joe-Ilkka. It seems as though the PC-Ultra is a given with most of the perimeters you just shared Joe.:emoji_thumbsup:

WayneO

Supporting Actor
The ISD is a great driver itself and though I haven't heard a TV-12 driven SVS, I'm sure he wouldn't miss it if he hasn't heard it. I'm not sure how the two subs compare SPL-wise.....but from the picture your space looks very open.......? The PB12-ISD/2 might be the better choice in your setup.

P.S. You GOTTA get that center up! :)

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka

Yep, it can produce more pure spl, but since it has same drivers, sq will be very close. Less THD (at same level)since it has 2 woofers (compared to PCi). But I'd still take Ultra, just because it has TV-12 element. :)

So, good choice Joe!

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
In all honesty, you wouldn't have been sorry, EITHER way you choose. Having heard both drivers, I whole heartily would've suggested the Ultra. I won't go into my reasons as you might have already read my reasoning why. I was actually surprised to see someone refer my review!

Anyway, you ought to be very happy with your choice! All else fails, if the Ultra happens to not be enough for you... just add another one! I surely am saving up for another one right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks