What's new

SVS PC+ Sub Levels (1 Viewer)

steve gk

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my PC+ sub and this thing is definitely a beast. I wanted to see what calibration settings people with the PC+ are using. I seem to be getting mixed results.

For instance, to properly calibrate my sub with Video Essentials, I have to dial down my receivers sub level to
-13 (it can go all the way to -15) and turn down the sub gain level to about 1/4. These settings will get me a 80db reading, which still runs a tad hot. The one thing I noticed when I calibrate to this level is that I'm missing the "umph" of the bass. You can definitely notice the lack of bass in the THX crystal ball intro. Before it was calibrated to 80db, you could feel the explosion, now nothing. My room is 13x15 with 9 foot ceilings.

What level are you guys dialing your receiver and sub gain knob to calibrate your sub and are you lacking the "boom" effect when you do.

Thanks
Steve

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I have a PCi but may be able to offer some insight. I have to run mine about 6db hot before I get a good umph on the THX intro. Hope this helps.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Make sure the bass management settings haven't changed in between subs. Also, double check that the crossover on the PC+ is disabled.A lot of folks just subjectively like the bass hot...5-8dB hot isn't as uncommon as you think. The important thing to remember is that with the subwoofer 5dB hot on the RS meter...that is like 7-8dB hot actual.(in my experiences--the RS meter reads a couple dB low during a typical subwoofer calibration tone) So with the subwoofer 7-8dB hot....if you felt brave and popped in LOTR and cranked that up to full reference levels...the subwoofer would be 11-12dB OVER reference.
Calibration = 7-8dB hot
LOTR recorded 4dB higher than normal(0 instead of -4dBFS)
This is pretty abusive stuff for the subwoofer,the rest of the speakers, and your ears.
So having the subwoofer way *hot* is fine...but NOT if you intend to watch the bassy DVDs at/near reference levels :)
TV

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
When it comes to calibrating my subs I have my own idea of what I like. Know where calibration is for your own reference and then do as you please with-in reason. This will vary on the DVD-CD you are listening to, the volume, your mood, is your wife home? Action versus Musical and many other factors will dictate on the level. They are really starting to pump allot of LFE into DVDs now so one needs to test the listening material first and at the level you will be listening at before he knows where he wants his settings,,, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks